• Register Today It's free!

TIMING CHAIN WORTH FIXING

MAMI

Reaction score
City, State
GOODVIEW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER XLT
Took my 2000 Ford explorer in to have a new tranny put in and they said my timing chain was making a loud noise ..I've been going to the same mechanic for over 20 years so I trust him to a point ..but not sure on this since I haven't heard this before it went in the shop..he says he doesn't work on them and doesn't think it's worth my money to drop a used tranny in it and if the timing chain goes my truck would be junk ..I want to know how true this is and if it's worth my time and money to let another tranny in and if the timing chain can be fixed ?? I only have 171,000 miles on the truck and most everything else is rebuilt on it including the 4 wheel drive system ..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the trans is still out have them put a rear timing guide in it at least, now is the time! Either the trans or engine has to be removed to do this repair.

He is correct. Even if you get the best deal out there, you are looking at 4g for a used transmission and an engine. The book time is 12 hrs just to pull the engine alone. Unless your mechanic is experienced with the timing chain replacement and can show that he has all the specialty tools to do the job, i would never trust them to do the job. It is very meticulous to do on this engine. I would send her to Exploder heaven, aka scrap yard, where it can probably meet many others with the exact same issue caused by fords wonderful design.

He is correct. Even if you get the best deal out there, you are looking at 4g for a used transmission and an engine. The book time is 12 hrs just to pull the engine alone. Unless your mechanic is experienced with the timing chain replacement and can show that he has all the specialty tools to do the job, i would never trust them to do the job. It is very meticulous to do on this engine. I would send her to Exploder heaven, aka scrap yard, where it can probably meet many others with the exact same issue caused by fords wonderful design.

I agree. Time to let her go if in fact the timing chains are on the way out and the trans is bad. Not worth fixing.

I agree with all above. Mine I felt was worth saving and spent 2700 in labor alone as I bought all the parts before hand. They ran into so many problems with the removal because of the age of my rig, (98). If you have the means to do this yourself it is worth the save, there is a gent on this forum that will rent the timing tools to you. There is a lot to this so read up! Good luck to you what ever you decide.
Robert

Back