• Register Today It's free!

Worth fixing this '97 Explorer?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
For those that have run their Explorers to the ground, please provide input.

I have a '97 Explorer XLT with the 4.0L SOHC engine. It has a "check engine" light on for almost a year now. It needs either needs new O2 sensors or new catalytic converters (expensive repairs). In addition, I have to constantly fill up the coolant reservoir every 2 weeks (it's burning up somewhere although I don't see leaks), the rpm gauge doesn't work, I have the blend door problem so heat and a/c working properly is always an issue), transmission recently started occassionally slightly banging when going into gear, radio reception is bad, hearing a "wooo" griding sound somewhere in the front wheels when I drive and the normal bangs, creeks, and other noises you would hear from a stiff riding 13 year old suspension with 163K miles on it. It handles like a shopping car, but the motor does still run strong though and shocks seem ok, although I don't think I have a whole lot of meat left on my brake pads (that could be the "wooo" sound I hear). The body is in decent shape, but I don't really care about looks since this has been a Winter beater to get around in the rain and snow.

Is it worth keeping this truck or selling it to upgrade to a newer Explorer (2003 or 2004?)? Seems like selling is the way to go or I'll be dumping more cash into this than it's worth. What do you guys think? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hm if it wasnt for the more serious stuff like the coolant burning up, needing new cats, and a rough trans, id say keep it, but to repair the stuff you mentioned would probably cost you double what the things worth....id sell it, and just get another 2nd gen, you can find one in DAMN good shape, with around 130k miles, for around 2000$ around here

Yeah, I'm figuring it's time to let it go. I bought it at 114K miles and drove it to the 162K it has now. Perhaps it's been a good 4 years and time to say goodbye. I would consider another 2nd generation, but I'm done with it. No more solid rear axle for me. I want an SUV that rides more comfortably and doesn't handle like a shopping cart. Is it safe to assume any known "new truck" problems on the 2002 models have been fixed on the 2003 models? Or, should I focus on the 2004 used Explorers.

I can't be much help with the 3rd gens lol but from what I've heard, I would go for an 04', it seems like the 02's and 03's were alot of lemons so who knows but like I said, that's just from what I've read on here. I do know one of my buddies moms bought an 02' fully loaded and he tells me one thing after another that they're taking it in for

Sounds like you have not been maintaining this vehicle by all of the issues you have. How much do you expect to get for it? You can buy a nice used 2nd gen truck for $1000-$1500. Many here have got their trucks for free when the PO refused the repair work needed.

Have the timimg chains been replaced?

Is it safe to assume any known "new truck" problems on the 2002 models have been fixed on the 2003 models? Or, should I focus on the 2004 used Explorers.

2002 was a problematic year. Plenty of threads talking about that in the archives. If you're settling for the 3rd gen, go as late into the generation as you can afford.

Back