• Register Today It's free!

timing chain

and11

Reaction score
City, State
wolverhampton UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer ltd
Hi my 1999 explorer 4.0 sohc 83000 miles on clock not sure what its been doing or were its been last MOT 2013 only done 1000 miles since then. Any way it started the dreaded chain rattle .
So going forward engine stripped new front chains / cassettes guides and tensioners fitted and done with engine in car i did notice that when i fitted the chain from the jackshaft to the crank and fitted the guide and tensioner it was tight and when i pulled the pin the tensioner didn't move is that correct.
Now i know what every one is going to say but MY rear chain and guide is still in one piece the front ones were.in about 50 bits .
But on removing everything i noticed that the front tensioner was not the correct one it was the same as the rear one and the nylon rod under the plug next to the front tensioner was missing.
There was no indication that any work had been carried out prior to my work so i wonder was it done from manufacture any help or advice thanks .
Sorry for a long post

Its like that because it never had the recall
For the tensioner and nylon rod

Its like that because it never had the recall
For the tensioner and nylon rod
Thanks that would explain it so it was doomed from the start i wonder what else was missed thanks again.

Back