• Register Today It's free!

timing chains

albesilk

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I replaced all the timing chains in my explorer. The timing chain tensioners were broke. I know there is three chains (four for 4 wheel drive ). Mine is two wheel drive. The truck starts but it runs like dodo. Has no power.. I am very mechnical inclined. I am a transmission tech I rebuild them. My question is the book says allign the left cam with the slots facing down and then install the holding tool. Well the tool only fits in the holder one way. There is no other tool like that. You have the gear holding tool. What do I do. Please help. have to get this thing done Send me an email or reply.

So you are saying when you have the cam in place the holding tool will not fit into place??

Do you need to have the holding tool loosely fitted first then install the cam then fully tighten the tool down??

A good photo would be nice or a more descriptive text as I am having trouble visualising it with the brief description you gave, also having never seen the timing set up on a 4.0 s.o.h.c I am trying to imagine how it look’s.

Do you have the complete set of tools? The OTC part number is 6488. There is a TDC tool, and one tool for each end of a camshaft. All three tools are needed to align each cam, separately. Good luck,

Thanks for your help. I did a compression check and found that there was a bent valve on the no. 3 cylinder. Just replace the motor. Motor looks good.

Back