• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chains

anthonymtz

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys I was just wondering what the best timing chain kit is for my explorer, I got the 4.6l v8. I'm asking because I heard mixed things about one being built with metal and was more durable, any info would be apappreciated. One more question, if I use the cam holding tool would I still need to re-time my engine? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JakePTSD has a big thread going about 4.6L timing components. He has done an extensive amount of research. As for the timing, no you don't need to re-time just line the links up.

As for your question about which kit is best, I can tell you that I recently (last week) bought and installed a kit from Napa that included chains, guides and tensioners. It was $202, and the kit that included sprockets was $300, but my sprockets looked fine so I didn't bother. Timing is super easy, just match up the dimples on the sprockets with the off color chain link.

As for your question about which kit is best, I can tell you that I recently (last week) bought and installed a kit from Napa that included chains, guides and tensioners. It was $202, and the kit that included sprockets was $300, but my sprockets looked fine so I didn't bother. Timing is super easy, just match up the dimples on the sprockets with the off color chain link.

Thanks! I was looking on ebay and there is a kit that has the chains, guides and tensioners for 80$ it says it exceeds manufacturer specs... I wonder if I should give it a try, I don't want to cheap out on it but I always wanted to know if they were any good!

The kit on 1A Auto was about $200 and included the sprockets. I didn't feel like waiting for the shipment ( or pay for overnight ), so I picked mine up at Napa.

Good luck with your replacement!
MJ

The kit on 1A Auto was about $200 and included the sprockets. I didn't feel like waiting for the shipment ( or pay for overnight ), so I picked mine up at Napa.

Good luck with your replacement!
MJ

Gotcha, I also wonder about the ebay one :/?

I would shy away from any ebay product unless you can verify where you got it from. Check rock auto to see what they have. I got the cloyes kit for the 4.0 for just under 300.

I would shy away from any ebay product unless you can verify where you got it from. Check rock auto to see what they have. I got the cloyes kit for the 4.0 for just under 300.

Well its not a ebay product, the kit is from another company they are all made in China so what the hell lol, I just wonder if it would work good.

I just did the chains on mine. I didn't buy a kit. My engine still ran fine and since it was already out of the truck I just did them as a precautionary thing. I have yet to start it since I did them as the engine is still not in the truck, so I have no idea if it will even work, however I see no reason why it won't since I used all OEM style parts (aftermarket manufacturer, Cloyes). With that said, use the information at your own risk. I will keep everyone updated in my thread how it works short and long term.

Since my engine ran perfectly fine and the timing components looked mostly ok, I didn't replace the chains or sprockets. I just replaced the hydraulic tensioners, tensioner arms, and guides. As stated above I did a lot of research to figure out which parts I felt were the best since there was a lot of changes throughout the years. I ended up using the parts listed for a 1996 Crown Victoria, although many others use the same parts. They are cast iron tensioners, and stamped steel guides. The tensioner arms are the same for nearly, possibly all, SOHC 4.6L engines. A small amount of extra, however extremely easy work is involved using this setup, however if you can't do those extra steps, you have no business being this deep into an engine.

I will post a link to the thread here as soon as I find it. There is a fair amount of reading before you get to the conclusion, but I'd recommend reading it all if you have time since there is some good information in there.

I just did the chains on mine. I didn't buy a kit. My engine still ran fine and since it was already out of the truck I just did them as a precautionary thing. I have yet to start it since I did them as the engine is still not in the truck, so I have no idea if it will even work, however I see no reason why it won't since I used all OEM style parts (aftermarket manufacturer, Cloyes). With that said, use the information at your own risk. I will keep everyone updated in my thread how it works short and long term.

Since my engine ran perfectly fine and the timing components looked mostly ok, I didn't replace the chains or sprockets. I just replaced the hydraulic tensioners, tensioner arms, and guides. As stated above I did a lot of research to figure out which parts I felt were the best since there was a lot of changes throughout the years. I ended up using the parts listed for a 1996 Crown Victoria, although many others use the same parts. They are cast iron tensioners, and stamped steel guides. The tensioner arms are the same for nearly, possibly all, SOHC 4.6L engines. A small amount of extra, however extremely easy work is involved using this setup, however if you can't do those extra steps, you have no business being this deep into an engine.

I will post a link to the thread here as soon as I find it. There is a fair amount of reading before you get to the conclusion, but I'd recommend reading it all if you have time since there is some good information in there.

Awsome! So what are the extra steps to use a kit for a 96 vic on my 04 explorer? I am pretty good at wrenching lol!

Awsome! So what are the extra steps to use a kit for a 96 vic on my 04 explorer? I am pretty good at wrenching lol!

Basically breaking your old plastic guide to get the metal bushing out and reusing it on the oil pump, and adding an extra mounting bolt. I go over that in the thread. Its super easy. Just little things I figured out while I was doing it.

Does yours still run? What prompted you to want to undertake this?

No, not yet!! I'm getting the cold start chain slap :( so I'm preparing myself for the job!

For some reason the link isn't working on my phone. Unless it's a good brand I'd steer clear. Stick with a reputable company. We are dealing with extremely important parts here. So important that a failure results in potentially catastrophic damage. Don't cheap out too much with this stuff. I'd have to look at my receipts but I think I have right around or maybe less than $150 in the tensioners, arms, and guides. Cloyes has a lifetime guarantee. That tells me they are confident in their product, and Cloyes is a reputable brand based on my understanding.

I ordered my parts off rockauto.com. if you aren't familiar with them, check them out. They have about everything you'd ever need, including some oddball stuff local stores can't even get, and their prices are typically about half of auto zone or any of the other chain stores.

For some reason the link isn't working on my phone. Unless it's a good brand I'd steer clear. Stick with a reputable company. We are dealing with extremely important parts here. So important that a failure results in potentially catastrophic damage. Don't cheap out too much with this stuff. I'd have to look at my receipts but I think I have right around or maybe less than $150 in the tensioners, arms, and guides. Cloyes has a lifetime guarantee. That tells me they are confident in their product, and Cloyes is a reputable brand based on my understanding.

I ordered my parts off rockauto.com. if you aren't familiar with them, check them out. They have about everything you'd ever need, including some oddball stuff local stores can't even get, and their prices are typically about half of auto zone or any of the other chain stores.

Awsome, now as for making more hp, do you know of any good under drive pullys? I'll be doing a e-fan very soon as well, there were some I seen on ebay aswell around 100ish bucks but they were for a 2002-2005 mustang gt, I wonder if the would bolt right in.

Not sure on the underdrive pulleys. Cost per horsepower isn't worth it in my opinion though. These aren't formula 1 cars where literally every horse matters. Efan from a mustang I'm sure would require some modifications. I don't know of any that are a direct bolt in for our trucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Custom tune may be a better option.

Back