Tint law question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tint law question

OK, my vehicle is registered in NM and I go to school in CO, if they have stricter laws and my car is legal in NM and not legal in CO can they ticket me? I was wondering if because Im registered in NM and its ok here Im not ablt to be fined in CO? I don't know the laws even or if Im even illegal there but I suppose this applies to all states. Any one now this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that you can be ticketed if your truck is violating their rules, regardless of it being legal where its registered. For instance, in Maryland(I think it was), radar detectors are illegal. They have a big sign when you enter the state saying to turn them off or you'll be ticketed. I would imagine the same applies for tint, the jurisdiction you're in at the time is what determines the legality.

On an interesting sidenote, if the situation were the opposite, you could also be ticketed via the stricter laws from back home. My buddy's home state required dual license plates. Down here we don't, but he could still be ticketed for not having them both on.

No you should not get ticketed. Your attending school. Your not becoming a resident of the state. Only when you become a resident of the state do you have to follow the rules. If that were the caes they would pull everyone over who is from out of state. They are only worried about their state and that the residents abide by the rules. You have nothing to worry about. In New Jersey its the same way. I have to have 2 license plates where as Pennsylvanians only have to have 1 plate. If they come to Jersey they have no problem because the police know they are not from the state. Onthe other hand, if I drive with one license plate I am gettin a ticket because I have to display both. I would not even worry.

P.S. Radars are a totally different story. A detector is something that a person chooses to have. An appliance to defeat law enforcement. Straight from my friend who is a State Trooper.

I do not think you'll be ticketed. I NEVER see anyone from Flordia getting pulled. They always have 5% on everything.

-Drew

lrwjr1964 said:
No you should not get ticketed. Your attending school. Your not becoming a resident of the state. Only when you become a resident of the state do you have to follow the rules. If that were the caes they would pull everyone over who is from out of state. They are only worried about their state and that the residents abide by the rules. You have nothing to worry about. In New Jersey its the same way. I have to have 2 license plates where as Pennsylvanians only have to have 1 plate. If they come to Jersey they have no problem because the police know they are not from the state. Onthe other hand, if I drive with one license plate I am gettin a ticket because I have to display both. I would not even worry.

that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard in my entire life. if you are passing through a state, you are considered a guest of the state and must follow all state and or local regulations. its one thing if you have a single plate and in NJ you need two, thats more like an officer with understanding and providing professional courtesy. but if he wanted to, he could ticket you and you couldnt do jack about it. so essentially just do what your told

CO=
2 Phase Law:
4 inches or AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 1989
4 inches or AS-1 / 27% Net / 27% Net / 27% Net / 1989

Note : No mirrored tint is allowed.

Enforcement Note : The fine for being in violation is $50 and the driver is not usually required to fix the windows. Tint shops are not allowed to tint cars beyond state law. State patrol carries light meters along with some local towns but they don't worry about window tinting unless it is very dark such as limo tint (5%).

It doesn't say if they require out of state vehicles to comply with their codes.

(4) This section shall apply to all motor vehicles.

if you go to the site and click on Colorado this is the last line in the penal code, so I guess you do have to comply with CO's rules.

Washington: Seattle

You are allowed to tint the back windows as dark as 5%

Front side windows have to remain less than 25% (though the State Police seem to think it is 35% the city disagrees)
I have no clue about mirrored tint.

When I lived in Idaho (Idaho Falls) we were required to have no more than 25% (? maybe 35 :confused: ) on any window.

The last time I was visiting Idaho I got pulled over for my tint, but they did not ticket me, but I was warned that my tint was illegal.

if you live in florida any tint is legal!

35% seems to be standard around the country. The last time i went to CO there were MAD people with the front windsheild tinted. now that cant be legal.

Creager said:
The last time i went to CO there were MAD people with the front windsheild tinted. now that cant be legal.

It shouldn't be -- but it does look kind of sweet!

-Drew

SUPPOSEDLY: all the states honor the laws of the governing state when you go there... now this doesn't always happen.. there is an actual term for it, but i can't remember it off the top of my head..... most often times even if you are living somewhere as a student you still have to abide by their laws as you are in their jurisdiction

jimabena74 said:
SUPPOSEDLY: all the states honor the laws of the governing state when you go there... now this doesn't always happen.. there is an actual term for it, but i can't remember it off the top of my head..... most often times even if you are living somewhere as a student you still have to abide by their laws as you are in their jurisdiction

So... lets say im drving through state A and i reside in state Z. the legal alcohol limit in state Z is .08, while in state A is .06. i get pulled over in state A and blow a .08. Would they grandfather my states law? or would i go down as DWI?

or even vice-versa. i blow a .08, but in my state the law is .06?

...that would be crazy if it worked like that

Creager said:
So... lets say im drving through state A and i reside in state Z. the legal alcohol limit in state Z is .08, while in state A is .06. i get pulled over in state A and blow a .08. Would they grandfather my states law? or would i go down as DWI?

or even vice-versa. i blow a .08, but in my state the law is .06?

...that would be crazy if it worked like that

it's supposed to work like that... there is some technical info for it.... but it doesnt always work liek that.....

here is CA, even if you are a student, and you live here longer than 10 days, you have t oget a CA driver's license..... doesnt matter if you really live in nevada with your parents... you are considered a resident alien.. and still ahve to get a CA drivers license

Florida definately has tint laws, a buddy of mine had to peel all his off in front of a cop once since he had it way too dark. It's jsut not enforced very much in most places since
a) cops here are afraid of most heavy tinted cars and
b) they have bigger problems to worry about.

yep they definitely have bigger problems to worry about, unless you are being a ballbuster then theyll put it it to you, ands odds are if the case then you deserve it

Simply put, the laws in the state you are in apply to everyone in that state, regardless whether they are resident or not. Some laws may reasonable not be expected to apply to non-residents, and you would have to read the law itself to see what the legislature intended. (Example, a car from State A which only issues one plate, passing through State B which requires 2 plates).

Certain constitutional limitations may apply to interstate commerce, but the general rule would be unless the specific statute excludes certain enumerated persons, it applies to everyone.

SO If I am in state A (where I am resident) and have a .08 blood alcohol and that is within the limit, and drive into State B which has a .06, when I crossed the state line I went DUI. Simple as that.

regardless of what the law says... it all depends on the officer, the situation, and how you react.
The officer could just be a #####, and you could be nice as ever, and still get ticketed. Or, it could be one of the "nicer" officers, who understands, and just gives you a warning or something.
It could go numerous ways, it just all depends on the situation.
We should all know that the law isn't necessarily "the law"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Colorado law is 20% at the front two side windows as from rear of that it is what ever you want. I see quite a lot of people with tinted windsheilds too, thats illegal here. Alot of people do 15% and never get bothered. If you have a sunroof like me it's cool to tint that whatever you want too. I'd rather have a black dashmat to help darken the reflected light than windsheild tinting.

Back