• Register Today It's free!

tints...

jer3myj

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
heyy i got a question...yu kno how the 97 mountaineer/explorers have the "courtesy glass"..with that silvery tint but yu cud see thru it...well if i tinted it 15%, wud it look black at all from outside?..or silver?

jw bc i wanna tint 15 in the 5 back windows, and 20 on the front, but i want black tints not silver and i dnt wanna change the glass

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you tine black behind the factory mirrored glass, its only gonna get more mirrored. it will still be dark, but not black, just very reflective.

your best bet would be to tine them all, and then get a mirror tint for the front to match.

=[

wud all mirrored tints look good on black tho?

if all that stuff is is shiny tint they can remove it before they put the new stuff on.

It would seriously look shiny and mirrored if i got my windows tinted??
I have a 95 and a 92, both have that privacy glass stuff, Im selling my 92 so idc, but i wanna get my 95's as dark as they can get...will they know to remove the factory stuff or what?

thats the problem, you cant remove the factory tint, its not stuck on, its leterally painted onto to glass, so you would have to pay tons of money to have it removed, if its even possible. it would probly be cheaper to buy new glass thats clear.
but ya since most X's have the mirrored glass, its really hard to get a black looking tint.
i would just tint the mirrored ones, and make them more mirrored, and then tint the front to match.
any tint shop can do what you want.

wow really? i had no idea they painted it on. what about the normal tint? is my black factory tint painted on? btw i say go to a junkyard and buy clear or already tinted glass off an explorer or find someone parting out an x and take the glass off that

ya usally when they apply factory tint its pretty hard to remove.

at least thats what my tint shop told me about the X cuz i wanted to tint black when i bought it, and he said that they can remove it, but it takes forever, and is expensive, idk if hes right, but i beleived him lol

I asked this about a year ago... and these are the solutions I came up with:

1. Replace all the glass with clear glass from a junkyard vehicle, and then have it tinted. If you have a pullapart around then it'll cost right about 100 dollars for all the glass you need. Then have it installed and tinted the way you want to.

2. I went to a local tint shop and talked to them about matching the front windows with the rear. He said he would have to use industrial tint for house windows, or some other high quality tint, and he would have to lay down a layer of gold and a layer of silver to get close to the factory tint. It wouldn't match perfectly but it'd still be close.

Hope this helps.

God, I used to love my privacy glass, it was good until today, now I hate it.

I wonder if I could take all mine out, and goto the JY and tell them ill swap you this fancy expensive tinted glass, for some non fancy not tinted glass LOL

i doubt theyd want to trade. one time i asked if they would trade me a black hood for a green one in PERFECT condition and they said no

Back