tire advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hevvykevvy81

Reaction score
City, State
Phila, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer
Hi all, I need to buy 4 new tires. My Kuhmo Solus kr21 tires are 2 yrs old and have 30,000 miles on them. They are on the tread bars! Supposed to be an 80,000 mile tread warranty. I am disappointed to say the least.... I've been told about general grabber jts & Firestone wilderness AT. I want a nice handling, quiet ride with good treadwear.. any suggestions? I drive 2005 2wd explorer with advancetrac. Thanks!

I like the Michelin LTX M/S line. My family runs them on everything including dumptrucks. They ride smooth and are silent even at highway speeds. Have awesome wear life and grab hard in the rain and snow. But they are pricey. The Generals are darn good too for the money. Good luck and dont go cheap!!

For me, any Firestone tire is great. My dads Silverado currently has Firestone Destination A/T, for us their the perfect amount of highway and mud tire, just enough so you won't get stuck and still get decent MPG. His truck came stock with Firestone Wilderness A/T and for me they were to much of a highway tire but they both have/had great tread wear. The Wildernesses lasted about 60,000 miles before we replaced them (didn't need to, just needed a more aggressive tire, still had about 10,000 left on them) and the Destinations are right at 40,000 miles and still look basically brand new. Those would be my two choices, but IMHO I'd go with the Destination A/Ts for light offroad and mainly highway

Back