• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have been looking into tires for the past two months and just keep running around in circles, I plan to buy online and have narrowed it down to a few brand choices. Online, I seem to get mostly consistant consumer reviews but not many from explorer owners which really are the only ones that matter. Obviously I am upgrading from 235's to 265's. Can I hear from the owners of Explorers on what they may own, recommend, or NOT recommend. I appreciate all comments, I need to buy ASAP prior to winter.

I have narrowed it down to the following but if you see some not onthe list you recommend please let me know.

Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T
Michelin cross terrain
Bridgestone Dueler A/T
General Grabber AT2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Michelin LTX M/S are worth looking at. It was a night and day difference between Goodyear Wrangler RT/S that were on my 96 XLT.

ride :thumbsup: quiet :thumbsup: handling :thumbsup:

The choice for the LTX M/S was a last minute decision. I pry would have weighed these against the Revos if I would have planned ahead.

Had Goodyear RT/S on my wife's Cherokee and hated those tires from day one: hard riding and noisy. Changed them to Firestone Destination LE tires (235/75-15) and the difference was incredible. Smooth, quiet and stable. When my tires wear out on my '96 XLT I'm definitely going to install Destination LE on it (255/70-15).

Had Goodyear RT/S on my wife's Cherokee and hated those tires from day one: hard riding and noisy. Changed them to Firestone Destination LE tires (235/75-15) and the difference was incredible. Smooth, quiet and stable. When my tires wear out on my '96 XLT I'm definitely going to install Destination LE on it (255/70-15).

I think the Destination LE's have A good look also. I've personally never owned a set. I bought a set of Uniroyal Liberators about 10 months ago. I like them a lot. They price was good for a set of 31's. They don't clean out as fast as I thought they would, but they still push through soup pretty good. I don't think I would go for them A second time for my truck, however, I would put A set on A regular truck that you drive alot and would need an A/T.

I run BFG A/T KOs, I know they weren't listed in your poll, but they are a great tire, I have had sets on multiple vehicles, on my 99 2wd Dakota they got me through some tough Michigan winters, they also last pretty long and didn't sound too bad on the expressway doing 80 mph. I had a set of 245s on my explorer, 265s rubbed a little, but then I took them off a few weeks later when I lifted and went with 33s. Whatever you decided BUY NOW, in a few weeks everyone will be in the last minute crunch to get their tires for winter. Good Luck.

-Rich

I thought about adding the BFG A/T KO's but was unsure how they are on the highway? Being on the top end in price of tires I want to make sure they are as good in the summer and on the highway. Also, regarding the MIchellin LTX M/S, I was going to add those as well, I currently have the cross terrain and love them, but again they are a bit expensive and from what I have read the REVO's are just as good. I added the General Grabber just because they are on tire rack for $90 a piece and have received great reviews! I appreciate everyones help, I plan to buy this week!

I wouldn't buy Generals. I had troubles as far as a car tire. My Dad has them on his Dually, and they seem to be good for his truck. But they came from Chevy new when he bought the truck new. My cousin bought a set and some of the bands broke and the tires wore funny. They same thing happened to my aunt. But once again...car tires, not truck.

LTX's all the way

Michelin LTX M/S are worth looking at.

The LTX's have been the best/ longest lasting tires that I have ever had, bar none. I had a set of them on my X for just over 132,x.. miles and was sad to replace them. They were amazing tires that saved my butt many a tire both on road and off road. The only down side to the tires was they had bulging side walls, I was worried that they wouldn't hold up out in the woods. But other then the side walls they were amazing tires!!:salute:

I thought about adding the BFG A/T KO's but was unsure how they are on the highway? Being on the top end in price of tires I want to make sure they are as good in the summer and on the highway. Also, regarding the MIchellin LTX M/S, I was going to add those as well, I currently have the cross terrain and love them, but again they are a bit expensive and from what I have read the REVO's are just as good. I added the General Grabber just because they are on tire rack for $90 a piece and have received great reviews! I appreciate everyones help, I plan to buy this week!

They aren't bad on the highway at all. Too bad you are looking at 265s and not 245s. I still have my almost brand new ones sitting at my parents and a better almost as good a price as the el cheapo grabbers, not sure if I would run them unless it was for a short while. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.

-Rich

I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos 30x9.50 and love them. They are great all around tires especially if you will be driving in rain and snow. They've held up despite all the abuse that they've received. I think they look pretty good too.

i'm using yokohoma geolander ht/s (g51) and they are a great tire so far. excellent wet traction, pretty decent looking tread, and it is a 60k mile tire. no road noise at all. i paid about $500 for 4 at discount with all the normal road/hazard and what not.

i wish i could have afforded the bridgestone deuler revo's

Well, I bought the Revos today, went with the 265's $638.96 including 1 day shipping, I did not get the roadside assistance because it would not apply since I am not buying the "recomended" size. I have taken pics of before and will take pics of after when I get them installed, I found an installer to install them for $65 including disposal and valve stems etc.

Back