• Register Today It's free!

Tire fitting problem

Jzop

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bank NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
So i recently finished my SOA and sloped 3" BL and I purchased 33/12.5/25 pro comp Xterrain muds with 15" black steelies. My problem is that when I took them to my mechanic he said they wouldn't fit and that without spacers and a higher lift in the front they would rub like crazy. Now from what I have seen on Nick26's ride he was able to clear 33" muds no problem. And this was after his successful SOA and sloped 3" BL. My question is if I crank my TB's up a little more, will I be able to put these on without causing to much of a problem. Im a little strapped for cash right now so any advice that results in a free fix to this problem would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you already crank the torsion bars up 2"? If so you should be able to clear them just fine! your "mechanic" doesn't know what hes talking about.

did you already crank the torsion bars up 2"? If so you should be able to clear them just fine! your "mechanic" doesn't know what hes talking about.

I was a little afraid to crank them up that far but i told him he could crank them as far as he needed in order to fit the tires. But he also said when I turn they will hit the frame of the truck because of there size as well. Is this true

no thats not true. Do you know the back spacing on the wheels you got? If they are 3.75 or 4.00 you will be fine. If not they will hit your front sway bar.

yeah as long as the backspacing is good then you should have little or no problems. Mine sometimes hit the body molding but only when i'm driving it hard.

no thats not true. Do you know the back spacing on the wheels you got? If they are 3.75 or 4.00 you will be fine. If not they will hit your front sway bar.

the tires are 33/12.5/15 on 15X8 black steelies. Im not quite sure how to determine that backspacing. maybe you could help me out

ok so from what i have found out in the past 10 min, backspacing is basically the amount of recessed space from the outside of the wheel to the inside were the lugs connect. is that even close or do i sound like an idiot.

close
Back space is the inner rim to hub face distance.

hhmm ok then. I will have to check it out tomorrow because i dropped everything off at the shop today. Dont have alto of room left in my garage plus my dad would probably kill me if i put anything in his 1944 willies lol.

Back