• Register Today It's free!

tire replacement for limited

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
I should be getting my new limited in a couple of weeks and have been reading some negative reviews on the Hankock tires in snow. I will replace them as soon as I take delivery but need some suggestions from others. I do not plan on going thru 18 inches of snow but do need to get up some snow covered hills in my subdivision to get home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should be getting my new limited in a couple of weeks and have been reading some negative reviews on the Hankock tires in snow. I will replace them as soon as I take delivery but need some suggestions from others. I do not plan on going thru 18 inches of snow but do need to get up some snow covered hills in my subdivision to get home.

Best reviews I have found so far are for the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60, but they are slightly heavy. Check tirerack.com for reviews, actually here is the link.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

I am however looking at these for an upgrade, since I have heard good things.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

The decision depends upopn what you actually want. An all-season or a true Winter tire. I personally use both since Winter tires are designed for the colder weather and not just for snow. They are made with softer rubber compounds for better traction on cold bare pavement than you could get with an all-season. I admit that in the 20" size this becomes quite expensive. tirerack.com should provide you with the info you need and it also has customer reviews on the tires. For Winter, I plan to buy the base Explorer 17" steel rims and reuse the 17" Toyo Winter tires I currently have on my Highlander. The 17" tires are less expensive and allow for more choice. Good luck.

The decision depends upopn what you actually want. An all-season or a true Winter tire. I personally use both since Winter tires are designed for the colder weather and not just for snow. They are made with softer rubber compounds for better traction on cold bare pavement than you could get with an all-season. I admit that in the 20" size this becomes quite expensive. tirerack.com should provide you with the info you need and it also has customer reviews on the tires. For Winter, I plan to buy the base Explorer 17" steel rimes and reuse the 17" Toyo Winter tires I currently have on my Highlander. The 17" tires are less expensive and allow for more choice. Good luck.

Peter, I may have some factory 17's for sale here shortly, once I buy my new tires, I live in Georgia where snow is not that common, and am looking to upgrade to 20's.

I really don't want to make seasonal tire swapping, I just want good year round tire. Hopefully I can find a local tire store that can make a swap off with some added cash.

I really don't want to make seasonal tire swapping, I just want good year round tire. Hopefully I can find a local tire store that can make a swap off with some added cash.

The Michelin's got a good rating for "all-season" tires.

There are some all season tires that according to their specs, offer decent winter traction. Finding them in the 20" size may be a challenge. I haven't had any luck around here finding a tire dealer who is willing to give me a discount by 'trading' in the new Hankooks.

Peter, I may have some factory 17's for sale here shortly, once I buy my new tires, I live in Georgia where snow is not that common, and am looking to upgrade to 20's.
If I was closer to your location I might take you up on that but shipping them to Canada would likely out weigh the benefits. I haven't priced them yet but I think the 17" steel wheels at the dealership are around $80 each. I'm hoping to get a bit of a discount on that. I'll then be in the same boat, trying to unload the RAV4 17" steel wheels c/w TPMS valves that I have been using on the Highlander. When I transfer the lease on it, the new owner just wants me to put the OEM 19" wheels back on. I'll reuse the 17" Winters on the Explorer since they will only have 2 Winters on them and low miles.

If I was closer to your location I might take you up on that but shipping them to Canada would likely out weigh the benefits. I haven't priced them yet but I think the 17" steel wheels at the dealership are around $80 each. I'm hoping to get a bit of a discount on that. I'll then be in the same boat, trying to unload the RAV4 17" steel wheels c/w TPMS valves that I have been using on the Highlander. When I transfer the lease on it, the new owner just wants me to put the OEM 19" wheels back on. I'll reuse the 17" Winters on the Explorer since they will only have 2 Winters on them and low miles.

80$ really, when i checked Ford Parts, they had the wheel priced at something around 300$ a wheel, which I thought was crazy for a standard steel wheel.

80$ really, when i checked Ford Parts, they had the wheel priced at something around 300$ a wheel, which I thought was crazy for a standard steel wheel.
I wonder if they included the TPMS in that price. Even so, that is quite expensive. When I bought the RAV4 steelies, they were $80 and the TMPS valve and installation kit was around $85. That is still far below what you were quoted. If I get a chance I'll verify the cost with the dealership tomorrow.

If I could get an acceptable deal through my dealership, I think right now I'd go for the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I'm not very optimistic though.

Okay, got the following prices from my dealer. Keep in mind these are CDN $. 2011 Explorer 17" steel wheels are $174.67 each, and 54.95 for each TPMS valve. The 17" steelie for the 2010 are $89.95! The part numbers are different so I assume the wheels are not interchangeable.:mad:

Do you know for certain that the small 17" wheels will fit on the Limited? Since the Limited comes with the 20" wheels, stock. Does the limited have the same brake size and etc as the base explorer? I was just wondering for myself. I hope the answer if yes

Peter you can get some nice alloy wheels for just over $100 each from Tirerack and even if you do not go down toget them I am sure it would be cheaper to have them shipped to Canada then buying something in Canada.

I am getting the White Plat so I am looking at a set of Black Alloys. I think the black rims will contrast nicely with the white paint. I have seen them from 108 to 125$

Peter you can get some nice alloy wheels for just over $100 each from Tirerack and even if you do not go down toget them I am sure it would be cheaper to have them shipped to Canada then buying something in Canada.

I am getting the White Plat so I am looking at one of these two. I think the black rims will look good.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

I vote for link #2. If you can ditch the red stripe, all the better.

I vote for link #2. If you can ditch the red stripe, all the better.

You commented before I had a chance to edit. The second link went to a differrent size for some reason.

I am getting the White Plat so I am looking at a set of Black Alloys. I think the black rims will contrast nicely with the white paint. I have seen them from 108 to 125$
I want the steel ones for Winter. Salt, sand and all the grit isn't too kind to alloy wheels. They tend to get pitted. But then being where you are, I don't Winter is too much of a concern. Just hope that the 17" will fit on the Limited. Just called the dealer to check but the service department just closed for the day. Received my build date today, week of the 21st, so I have a little time to check this out further. Right now my concern is focused on whether to keep the OEM tires which have horrible reviews. Thanks for the info.

But if your just getting steel rims that cost more then the Alloys and will look ugly no matter what, why not pay less for alloy wheels and even when they are pitted they will look better then steelies......:)

But if your just getting steel rims that cost more then the Alloys and will look ugly no matter what, why not pay less for alloy wheels and even when they are pitted they will look better then steelies......:)
You are absolutely correct. Didn't have my thinking cap on. Will do some checking and try and confirm that 17s will fit the Limited. Thank you.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your welcome!

Back