tire replacement for limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire replacement for limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone find out if 17" wheels will work on the LIMITED (20" stock)?
Just posted what I found out on another thread. Spoke with the dealership parts guy this morning and he says the part numbers are different but because Ford has not supplied them with he actual specifications, he could not answer the question at this time. Not sure if this lack of info applies to all dealerships or not.

Thanks for the info. The reason for my concern, is because I just had a bad experience with my other car, 2010 camaro. It also had 20" wheels stock. I asked around, and I was told that I could fit 18" wheels on the car. Long story short: I ended up getting the wheels, and they barely fit on the car, and I ended up having to go back to stock because of a brake recall situation. Basically I could only fit 20" wheels on the car, even though they sold sub-models that could fit 18" wheels.

I hope that 17" wheels fit on the Limited. If I had my explorer already, I would take it down to lesch schwab to get their analysis. Until then, I will rely on you guys!
haha, srry

I guess it isn't just the bolt pattern that you have to get right but also the offset. When I was having my Highlander's wheels balance a month ago at a tire shop, I asked the service manager if I could use my Rav4 17" wheels on the Explorer and he looked it up in a rather large manual and said that the offsets did not match. I assume that means we have to find out what the wheel offset is on the Explorer and if it is the same on all models. May not be as simple as I first thought. I don't really want to start messing with shims etc.

I am actually not concerned about the bolt pattern, or the offset. I am concerned about the size of the brake caliper. Sometimes bigger Wheeled cars will have bigger brakes, in order to be more effective on bigger wheel sizes. You could always order some wheels from tirerack.com. Thats my plan. But I really want to know about those brakes and etc

I am actually not concerned about the bolt pattern, or the offset. I am concerned about the size of the brake caliper. Sometimes bigger Wheeled cars will have bigger brakes, in order to be more effective on bigger wheel sizes. You could always order some wheels from tirerack.com. Thats my plan. But I really want to know about those brakes and etc
Of course the caliper size is the main concern, I'm also just hoping that the offsets are the same for Base and Limited in case I did decide to use the Ford rims. I'm reasonably optimistic the brake calipers will be the same size. I had no problem using the smaller Rav4's wheels on the bigger Highlander. Keeping my fingers crossed. In any case, it is difficult to order wheels when no one I've been in touch with seems to know for sure what the offset is for this vehicle.

haha, ya seriously. Nobody knows anything apparently, heh. I think a solution to finding the offsets, would be to go to tirerack.com (or another site), and you can look up the offsets of the wheels. I will actually check out what they say on their site right now.... These are numbers pulled from random wheels (american racing) that will fit each car. These are not "ford SPECS" or anything like that:

This is the info for the BASE, 17" explorer:
Offset: 45mm
Backspacing: 6.06"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
------
XLT EXPLORER 18"
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 6.06"
------
LIMITED EXPLORER, 20"
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 6.29"

All of the suggested fit wheels for the LIMITED explorer have between +35 and +45 offset. I checked this against the Explorer 17". They are the same. So, I think the offset requirements of all the 2011 explorer's is between +35 +45. So in other words, In terms of offset, I figure any wheel that fits on a base, will fit on an XLT and LIMITED

Anyone find out if 17" wheels will work on the LIMITED (20" stock)?
Jake, I called another dealership today and asked THE question. The parts guy was quite certain that the 17's should fit on the Limited. He said looking at the brake assembly parts for the 3 models, they are all the same. Therefore he could see no reason why fitting them would be a problem. As for the wheels, they are more than double the price of the 2010. They apparently are not the same wheels. $175 CDN here. A tire shop I called said he had 17's that should fit for $85. Since I'm scheduled to get the Ex at the end of the month and will have all of March to go, I may change my plans and get the 17" rims and snows now and give the Hankooks a chance in the warmer weather to see how they perform. Looking at the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI as a possible choice.

Update: Plan has changed. Given the overall negative reviews of the OEM tire, I am planning on going with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X as soon as the vehicle comes in. Found a dealer willing to give me $320 for the Hankooks. Although the Spec-X is not a Winter tire, looking at its tread it looks like it should be able to get me through March. http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Yokohama&tiremodel=Parada+Spec-X The Hankook looks more like a dedicated Summer tire given its tread pattern.

Just checked the service manual, and I can find no difference between all three models, so I would say it is pretty safe install 17"s on the limited or visa-versa.

Can any one confirm if 17" wheels can fit on the Limited yet?

Hey Jakefeb3,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I believe the answer is yes, 17" wheels can fit on the Limited. I am stating yes because I see them available for purchase on our Ford Parts website, http://bit.ly/etIcrg. Please let me know if you find any conflicting information, so I can research further. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

Seni,

Hey Jakefeb3,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I believe the answer is yes, 17" wheels can fit on the Limited. I am stating yes because I see them available for purchase on our Ford Parts website, http://bit.ly/etIcrg. Please let me know if you find any conflicting information, so I can research further. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

Seni
Ford Customer Service Division
$257.03 per wheel? Is that for the Base model steel wheel? My dealer quoted $174 and change (CDN) for the 17" steel wheel. A local tire company gave me a price of $84. Something doesn't sound right here. TPMS valve was another $54 each.

Back