Tire Rub....aka yet another series of questions on my build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Rub....aka yet another series of questions on my build

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
City, State
Forest VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ST 4x4
1st off thanks again for the support for this forum as always, saved me time and money!

Stats:
2005 XLT 4x4
Warrior shackles and TT
New General Grabbers AT2s 285/75/16, Stock wheels

I've trimmed all that I can trim and now I'm left with tire rub on the sway bar when I'm at full lock.

so, I've been reading past threads and there's some mixed feelings on wheel spacers to solve this issue. I wanted to bring it up again to see if theres any new opinions.

• Can I use spacers on a non body lifted truck?
  • Will I rub the outer walls?
  • Are there suggestions on spacer brands? (Obviously the hubcentric bolt on type seem like the more solid choice.)
  • What is the bolt pattern on our trucks?
  • If I use spacers does an alignment need to be preformed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry if I missed it but what if you installed longer sway bar links? Would that get the bar out of the tire path?

Thats a pretty good question, I'll have to check that out this evening. Do they make longer links for this truck?

Is there a steering stop bolt I can use to limit the radius?

When I was a tender lad of 18, my best friend (now departed) wanted to put bigger tires on his T3 Volkswagen coupe. He went out and bought wheel spacers, larger wheels and 4 new tires. Everything rubbed everywhere. He took it to a tire shop to see if anything could be done. The owner of the shop came outside, took a look and after a long pause all he said was... "unnatural situation". Your tires are too wide for your truck.

When I was a tender lad of 18, my best friend (now departed) wanted to put bigger tires on his T3 Volkswagen coupe. He went out and bought wheel spacers, larger wheels and 4 new tires. Everything rubbed everywhere. He took it to a tire shop to see if anything could be done. The owner of the shop came outside, took a look and after a long pause all he said was... "unnatural situation". Your tires are too wide for your truck.

funny story!

Unfortunately based on lots of reading I chose 285/75/16's, which others seemed to have success with. So it wasn't a purely a blind buy. I'm just now trying to eliminate the rubbing when the wheels are at full lock.

At full lock you will rub the sway bar- have seen its not too big an issue but at the same time make sure to inspect the inside tire for excessive wear. Maybe just take wider turns and be mindful of just yanking on the steering wheel.

I rub at full lock and I have 265/75 stock wheels and I have no concerns plus I only have done a tt (maybe 1-1.5") nothing in the back. You do have bigger tires than me but my point was you'd still rub if you went to my size

You will almost always rub the sway bar at full lock. Mine is worn smooth from the years of running 35s with just a TT up front. I had a body lift too, but that doesn't affect the position of the sway bar. Having said that, I only barely rubbed at full lock and that was with 12.5 wide tires.

You will almost always rub the sway bar at full lock. Mine is worn smooth from the years of running 35s with just a TT up front. I had a body lift too, but that doesn't affect the position of the sway bar. Having said that, I only barely rubbed at full lock and that was with 12.5 wide tires.

Yea I think I'm just going to roll with it, the truck looks 10000 percent better...

pics coming

Back