Tire size change. Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire size change. Help?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hello, I'm buying new tires soon(currently have coopers and hate them). Anyway I'm going to actually buy some nice all terrain tires this time around. I'm wondering how my MPG/Acceleration will be affected if I go from 28" to 30". Will my truck perform about the same as it does now? I have 3.55 gears and I am wondering if I'll see any drastic changes or maybe an improvement. I also do mostly city driving and never highway, rarely above 60mph. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last year I installed a set of BFG Long Terrains in
265x70x15. They were 29 1/4" tall and weighed with
custom rims about 53lbs each.

They did degrade performance slightly, mostly in braking
distance and pedal feel. I think it was due to the heavier
weight of the tire/wheel combo, rather than the increased
tire diameter.

Since then I've changed to 235x75 Michelin ATX on the
same wheels, to regain better braking. I didn't check the
MPG, but suspect it would have been slightly less too.

Thanks for the response. I'm running the stock 15" rims on mine so I'm not sure how heavy they'll be with the new tire. I don't think it'll be much worse with two added inches on each tire.

I think you'll be OK going up to 30s. My Ex looked good
rolling on the 265s, and like I said the performance loss
was minimal. The TireRack website lists specifications for
most tires, including weights, and is good for comparing
any tires you might be considering.

30x9.5R15 is about as far as the 3.55 will handle, 3.73 would be better. Anything larger should really regear to 4.10 or lower and will likely require lifting and/or trimming to avoid rubbing the front wheel wells on turns or bumps.

The 30" LT tires are about twice as heavy as the passenger 28's so braking will be affected. At lower speeds (like under 40) you wont notice too much but highway will definitely take longer to stop. The truck will loose some acceleration and might feel somewhat underpowered, but you should feel much more stable with the heavier tires, wider footprint, and more aggressive tread pattern. Speedometer will read 7+% low so if it says 60 you are actually driving 65 unless you change the revs per mile setting in the computer.

I might just end up staying with 235/75/15 but this time I'm going with some nice Firestone tires. They're around 28.9". Let's see if they're actually the size that they're advertised as. I wanted bigger tires to fill up the wheel-wells but I don't want to give up my truck's already limited performance. Thanks for the help.

On a different note: You guys think Ford still replaces the old recalled tires? My truck was never taken in to the dealer for a swap. As far as I know my 15 year old spare is the very tire that was recalled. :D I'll post back here to let everyone know what Ford says lol.

Romeo, you need to add that un-suspended mass being higher (wheels), the ride will be much worse than usual too...

Tires

does anyone know what are the tallest tires i can get under my 02 explorer sport 4x4 without lifting it ? i happen to be looking at some 265/70/16. they look to be about 2inches taller than the 255/70/16. :exporange

found my answer on another post:D

30x9.5R15 is about as far as the 3.55 will handle, 3.73 would be better. Anything larger should really regear to 4.10 or lower and will likely require lifting and/or trimming to avoid rubbing the front wheel wells on turns or bumps.

The 30" LT tires are about twice as heavy as the passenger 28's so braking will be affected. At lower speeds (like under 40) you wont notice too much but highway will definitely take longer to stop. The truck will loose some acceleration and might feel somewhat underpowered, but you should feel much more stable with the heavier tires, wider footprint, and more aggressive tread pattern. Speedometer will read 7+% low so if it says 60 you are actually driving 65 unless you change the revs per mile setting in the computer.

For a few months, I ran 31x10.50's on factory wheels with 3.27 gears with my 94 5-speed. It was no speed demon, needed more distance to stop, but it did it just fine. For the last month, I have had 31x10.50's on aftermarket wheels on my 92 with 3.27's and an automatic. I NEVER use overdrive, and try to take it easy on it. It does well enough, but like I said, I only use drive, and try to be as easy on it as I can. For a few years I ran 31x10.50x15's on my 94 5-speed with 3.73 gears. It drove just as it did with the dinky 235/75/15's and 3.27 gears. Same mileage, speedometer was correct, same overall vehicle performance. I have also run 33x12.50x15's multiple times on my 94 with the same 3.73 axle gears. On the road and on the trails. $.10's would be better, but I can do anything I want. Use 4-lo off road and I am just dandy for the little bit of trail riding it gets to see. On the road, once I am moving, I have plenty of acceleration. Starting off kinda sucks, as it did when i ran the 31's with stock gears, but it makes it just fine. And I beat on it like I'm trying to blow it up. 31's on both vehicle required no lift or trimming. 33's only required a 2 inch lift with small amounts of front fender trimming and liberal liner trimming.

My point to all this is, there is NO set ratio that you HAVE to have in your rig to run a certain size tire. You can run 40's with 2.73:1 gears, if you have the engine to back it up. I ran 31x10.50x15's on the back of my 78 2wd F150 for a long time and it had 3.00 gears (what we were told they where switched to). That truck did have a big block 460 in it, but I could do a burn out (read: one wheel peel) like it was nothing.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: Bottom line is we all learn by some trial and error. We all also have our own preferences. Try what you want, if it doesn't feel right or work the way you want, lesson learned. Hope this mini-lecture is helpful in some way. Happy motoring!

My 92 runs a 31x10.50 with a 3.08 gear just fine. And I knock down 22mpg on the highway. But I am in florida so no hills. Hell it still tows my trailer ok with 2 atvs on it.

Well I got my tires installed. I got Goodyear RT/S tires. They look a lot better than the cooper tires I had before and ride comfort as well as handling has improved drastically. I stayed with stock size but these new tires fill up the wheel wells a lot better. I got the tires, mounting, and balancing all for just $577 at the local Ford dealer. :thumbsup: Thanks again for all the advice.

Back