• Register Today It's free!

Tire size?

hlenoble

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT, 4WD
It's getting close to time for new tires on my '03 XLT 4 WD. I am confused though. The websites tirerack.com and tires.com list the standard size as 235/70-16, with an optional size of 245/60-16. The interesting thing is that the tires on the truck now are 245/75-16.

As an aside, my speedometer reads almost 5 MPH lower than the actual (per GPS) speed. The speedo reads 70 when the GPS reads 74-75. maybe the tire size is part of the reason.

So, what size tires are on you Explorers? And while I'm at it, if anyone has been really satisfied with a particular brand, specifically winter traction, tread life, and quietness on the highway please let me know.

Thanks,
- Hal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The door sticker! I should have thought of that. Thanks for the help.

- Hal

There's only one truck tire I will ever buy; Michelin LTX M/S.

I just put on a set of Maxxis 760 H/T's they are much quieter than the Michelin's that were on the vehicle. Have been impressed with the wet traction up to this point.
As far as the snow I personally can't attest to it I have talked to numerous people who have them and could not find anyone who had a bad thing to say about them. They were all impressed with the traction over the past winter.

Back