• Register Today It's free!

tire sizes

petersb19

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 Explorer Limited 4X4
I'm new to this forum. I bought my explorer back in Nov. And have installed 9" headrest DVD monitors, blacked out the windows with 5% tint all around, smoked the headlights and taillights and soon ill be upgrading the wheels to 22's...does anybody know what the best tire size is for the explorer when increasing the wheels from 20's to 22's. Also how do I post pics. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.
22x9 wheels with 265 width tires. I've seen a few people go to 285 if you want the tire hanging over. Here's mine with 265/40-22 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386478

Get a photobucket account and upload your pics to that. Then use the link in photobucket and place it in the thread.

I was wondering about this, because the Sport comes with 265 width tires which per most manufacturers is slated for an 8" wide rim, but our rims are 9" wide on the Sport. So shouldn't we have a wider tire?
Nowhere near replacing, just thinking for the future...

265/40 on a 9" rim makes the sidewalk straight up and down (flush with the rim).

265/40 on a 9" rim makes the sidewalk straight up and down (flush with the rim).

Right, any 265 will be "square" on a 9" rim.. and I guess that was my point. Manufacturers generally recommend the wheel width narrower than the tire... confirmed that with the ones at tirerack.com that match factory tire size and they said 8" wheel width.
I like the "square" look, but it just seems odd from the factory like that.

Should have noted what the Edge Sport 22's uses...265/40's wheels are 9''.

Welcome to the forum.
22x9 wheels with 265 width tires. I've seen a few people go to 285 if you want the tire hanging over. Here's mine with 265/40-22 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386478

Get a photobucket account and upload your pics to that. Then use the link in photobucket and place it in the thread.

When you put your new wheels and tires on did you get the vehicle aligned and have your vehicle tuned to the new wheels so your spedo was still accurate?..

I aligned it beforehand after i lowered it since I wasn't sure if my shop could handle 22's on their machine and since the wheels/tires doesn't affect the alignment.
I didn't worry about the speedo. The effective radius of my new vs stock is only 3/16" more, not really enough to worry about.

Use the 'IMG' code to post pic into your post.

How do I do that? I watched the video but I couldn't see where he put the "IMG" and I have been looking for the video for an hour now and can't seem to find it..

IMAG0187_zps02be9b62.jpg

PhotoGrid_1369092078339_zpsb61fed22.jpg

Headlight/taillight smoked..

IMAG0171_zpsc8380258.jpg

22's that are about to go on..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back