Tire suggestions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire suggestions?

Not really an aggressive tread but an excellent all around tire is the Michellin Cross Terrain SUV. I had a set of 17" on my 02 F150 SCab and after 30K miles tread wear was barely noticable, they were quiet, rode very smooth, handled excellently in wet or dry conditions and didn't break the bank to buy them. Never had a hint of trouble out of those tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you don't mind going with a somewhat generic brand tire, I have Definity Dakota M/T's from Pep Boys and they came with a 40,000 mile warranty. They have a really aggressive tread pattern and are also pretty cheap. I only paid about $550 for everything, and that was for 285's. Check out this thread to see what they look like: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223189

Those are pretty sweet. You only have a 3" body lift to be able to run those? Do they rub much?

Those are pretty sweet. You only have a 3" body lift to be able to run those? Do they rub much?

No i have a 3 inch body lift and 2.5" springs in front and 1.5" springs in the rear so unless you have a body lift and lift springs, then I would go with the 265's.

No i have a 3 inch body lift and 2.5" springs in front and 1.5" springs in the rear so unless you have a body lift and lift springs, then I would go with the 265's.

OK, that is what everyone says. I just did not see where you had done springs as well.

Anyone use Dayton Timberlines?They seem like quite a bargan at 140. CDN ea... for 31/10.50/15

Any opinions? I think I'm getting a set tomorrow.

Attachments

• dayton_timberline_mt.jpg
    dayton_timberline_mt.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 307

Anyone use Dayton Timberlines?They seem like quite a bargan at 140. CDN ea... for 31/10.50/15

Any opinions? I think I'm getting a set tomorrow.

I ran those on a grand cherokee I had 4 years ago and loved them. Pretty aggresive with a lil roar on the road. I would have them again.

Now that i think about it, i can't remember any company that offered a tread wear warranty except for pro comp.

http://www.procomptires.com/allterrain.html

They ATs are less aggressive looking than the BFG AT, but i still think they look pretty good in person. It's too bad they don't offer the xtreme AT in your size because those also have a mileage warranty and are pretty aggressive looking.

But if you're hoping to get 30,000 miles out of your next set of tires, the BFG MT would be a good choice if rotated regularly and properly inflated. They are fairly quiet compared to other MTs i've heard, when i had them i loved them. And the BFG AT could double the MT's life if maintained properly. I'm on my 2nd set of those now and i love them also.

I'm going with the PROCOMP AT when I upgrade in the next two months. One great thing is that with the "Snowflake" rating, I'll be able to run when they start to shut the mountains down to other drivers. I have heard they are a great tire.

The hercules Terraa trac A/Ts are supposed to wear very well, and have great results for an A/T. They may not be as aggressive looking as you like, but surely function over form is the name of the game.
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AT.asp

Also, have you checked out Coopers Discoverer Sure trac (S/T) - it's reasonably aggressive, and comes with a treadwear warranty that exceeds what you are seeking.
http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx.

There is also the new Cooper Leon LTZ - looks pretty good.

My dad has run the Cooper Zeon tires and says to stay away from them. Traction for those tires is minimal on anything but bone dry pavement. The Cooper S/T is a good tire, ran them on my old truck for most of the time that I had it.

Did the wear well? Thanks for the reply.

Yeah they wore great. If you have a chance to get a deal on them I would go for it.

Now that i think about it, i can't remember any company that offered a tread wear warranty except for pro comp.

http://www.procomptires.com/allterrain.html

They ATs are less aggressive looking than the BFG AT, but i still think they look pretty good in person. It's too bad they don't offer the xtreme AT in your size because those also have a mileage warranty and are pretty aggressive looking.

LOOK what I found.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&Cookie=froogle&details=Ordern&typ=R-157883&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

Okay, so how do you not like those? (rhetorical) :) That's a serious looking tire... and thanks! Wonder how they'd look...

Yeah, I got a price on the BF K/O's at $1200 installed, the 140. ea of the Dayton's looks really good... besides, I'm really only starting to feed the addiction.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I got a price on the BF K/O's at $1200 installed, the 140. ea of the Dayton's looks really good... besides, I'm really only starting to feed the addiction.

Thanks guys.

You can do better than $1200... keep shopping **Costco** and you should be able to get into the 900$ range.

yeah, those AT2s look just like BFGs. I was going to get them last year but before I was ready to pull the trigger, they jacked the price up.

Tires-easy.com seems to rape you on shipping!

i run the sport king a/t's. they are a great budget tire. they are baisically a knock off of the bfg a/t's with very similar tread.

I also run the sport king a/ts but i think they look more like bfg m/ts. had them for about a month. very little road noise and so far very good in all.. made by medalist i think... 600 installed for 31/10.5r15
mytires.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Timberline is discontinued I am told, so I went hunting for the T/A K/O's again. $820 taxes in. I like the way they look, and they are very quiet on the highway. Very pleased so far (180 kms). I don't know what the guy that quoted me 1200 was thinking...

Back