Tires - Going Back to Stock 255/70R16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires - Going Back to Stock 255/70R16

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I got a damaged tire, could be fixed, but shouldn't be fixed to be safe...................currently running Falken Wildpeaks 265/75R16's(32X10.5's) with Limited rims. I suppose I could try to match-up a used tire, but do not want to risk the AWD transfer case. I ordered 5 so I can rotate the spare in, 255/70R16 (30X10). Going with Discount and certs.

I used Tire Size Calculator to compare sizes. The new tires are 4.7% smaller in diameter and circumference. I have been happy with the ones I have but am going smaller for better performance. It should brake and accelerate better, maybe even get a bit better mileage. The speedo/odometer have been off, under by 3%, and I adjusted them as far as I could with Forscan, now they should read over by 1.7%. I may make another adjustment. Another way to look at going to smaller tires is like going from 3.73 gears to 3.91's that 4.7% difference should be noticeable.

I will crank the T-bars down a bit, check alignment and I can drop the rear an inch by moving the springs up a hole in the shackle brackets. I think that 2" drop ( 1" tire & 1" suspension) will help handling as well making it easier to get stuff up in the roof rack. I am just not doing trails unless they lead to some camping or a recreation site, not looking for anything more than mild in difficulty to get out and play.

I am going to Craiglist the old tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the weight change of those tires, but I'd guess about 5lbs. I noticed a huge change when I went from a 58lbs tire/wheel, to a 72.5lbs combo. The 18" wheels were almost 10 more than the OEM 17" Cobra wheels. Tire weights would surprise most people if they compared.

BTW, the 30" size(stock 255/70/16), is the ideal size for the stock speedometer. So you can return it back to stock and have the accurate speedometer again.

Yup, Weight is also factor to brake and accelerate.

They are in tomorrow at 9am. NEW MEATS!

I got my tires late yesterday, Discount called me and said come on in. They had their act together and had me in and out in 45 min. with 5 new tars! Very cool as it could get ugly here anytime, First snow hits and then everyone needs tires. I am happy with Discount and the tires.

As expected, I do notice a bit better acceleration and braking. Now perhaps I need to get a zero to 60, but am handicapped at 5,400' elevation..........excuses first. Let's see that's 20% less power = 20% lower time?

I think I will have time to drop it an inch this evening.

I got a damaged tire, could be fixed, but shouldn't be fixed to be safe...................currently running Falken Wildpeaks 265/75R16's(32X10.5's) with Limited rims. I suppose I could try to match-up a used tire, but do not want to risk the AWD transfer case. I ordered 5 so I can rotate the spare in, 255/70R16 (30X10). Going with Discount and certs.

I used Tire Size Calculator to compare sizes. The new tires are 4.7% smaller in diameter and circumference. I have been happy with the ones I have but am going smaller for better performance. It should brake and accelerate better, maybe even get a bit better mileage. The speedo/odometer have been off, under by 3%, and I adjusted them as far as I could with Forscan, now they should read over by 1.7%. I may make another adjustment. Another way to look at going to smaller tires is like going from 3.73 gears to 3.91's that 4.7% difference should be noticeable.

I will crank the T-bars down a bit, check alignment and I can drop the rear an inch by moving the springs up a hole in the shackle brackets. I think that 2" drop ( 1" tire & 1" suspension) will help handling as well making it easier to get stuff up in the roof rack. I am just not doing trails unless they lead to some camping or a recreation site, not looking for anything more than mild in difficulty to get out and play.

I am going to Craiglist the old tires.
Thanks for Tire Calculator link! I have no spare, (but do have a spare wheel) and the 4 tires are equal, when I measure the circumference, am thinking of getting a narrower spare to match up circumferences for the 4WD.. I think it would fit on the wheel (others are p235/75R15) and new one would be 225/75R15 1998 Ford Explorer XLT Tires Do you think rotating it in with the other 4 would give me any problems, and how many miles do you go between rotating tires?

Thanks for Tire Calculator link! I have no spare, (but do have a spare wheel) and the 4 tires are equal, when I measure the circumference, am thinking of getting a narrower spare to match up circumferences for the 4WD.. I think it would fit on the wheel (others are p235/75R15) and new one would be 225/75R15 1998 Ford Explorer XLT Tires Do you think rotating it in with the other 4 would give me any problems, and how many miles do you go between rotating tires?
It's the All Wheel Drive transfer case that is put in a bind with different sized tires. It can ruin it. I would not rotate the smaller tire in if you have AWD only.

You should never rotate in an odd sized tire. Just pay the few dollars more for the right sized tire.

It's the All Wheel Drive transfer case that is put in a bind with different sized tires. It can ruin it. I would not rotate the smaller tire in if you have AWD only.

You should never rotate in an odd sized tire. Just pay the few dollars more for the right sized tire.
It's an automatic 4WD (auto, Hi, Low on knob) - and I'm trying to avoid oddness! ;)Nobody seems to have used tires to match the used ones I have on 4 wheels, not new but about 75% tread on them. So to get one new tire for the spare wheel was what I was thinking of. Calculator seems to indicate they would fit on the wheel, although narrower than the others. Nobody around here shaves tires down either. It's more the availability than the cost, although that matters also, cause towing for a flat would cost also.

You can run a spare on your 4wd with no issues. Toss the spare on, run it until you get the original fixed.

The viscous coupling AWDs are the picky ones. And, even with those you could run a miss-matched tire to get home, granted you weren’t super far away.

It's an automatic 4WD (auto, Hi, Low on knob) - and I'm trying to avoid oddness! ;)Nobody seems to have used tires to match the used ones I have on 4 wheels, not new but about 75% tread on them. So to get one new tire for the spare wheel was what I was thinking of. Calculator seems to indicate they would fit on the wheel, although narrower than the others. Nobody around here shaves tires down either. It's more the availability than the cost, although that matters also, cause towing for a flat would cost also.
If you have four equal used tires on it now, just buy a spare in the same size, and try not to use it unless for an emergency. It's hard to rotate four tires to wear evenly, trying to do it with five tires would be almost impossible to do.

But as Mbrooks420 said, for that A4WD it's no big deal to use the spare when you have to, for a short distance.

If you have four equal used tires on it now, just buy a spare in the same size, and try not to use it unless for an emergency. It's hard to rotate four tires to wear evenly, trying to do it with five tires would be almost impossible to do.

But as Mbrooks420 said, for that A4WD it's no big deal to use the spare when you have to, for a short distance.
Since the longest trips I usually take are about 25mi. one way, sounds like a plan! And tires are on sale now.

Thanks to you, and also Blown, and MBrooks, for helping me decide what to do! Never thought going without a spare was a good idea

Back