• Register Today It's free!

To buy or Not to buy

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I am thinking about getting an earlier 98 or so Explorer. I had a 91 high millage and got it all working and was pretty good in the end. Its long gone and I have a 2002 Sport my son has.

Now here is the kicker, I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee 4x4 but like various aspect of the old Explorer so I am looking at some. Most are high millage 220,000 and higher.

How do they stand up, tranny, engine etc. I know head gaskets been a problem on some of the new series. My daughter has commandeered the Jeep and I am grounded without a vehicle and $$$ is an issue.

Any suggestions or stay away from (Must be automatic and 4x4).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Folks here highly recommend the V8 AWD.

I recently bought a 2000 Explorer, 109,000 miles on it, that will not start due to the Security System. After reading on here about the 98 and up vehicles having so many problems with the Security system, I will be looking for a 97 and older vehicle for awhile. I will park this 2000 for a couple of months to see if I can find a Security bypass. If not, it is off to the scrapper..........

I have a '97 V8 AWD with 200,000 miles - love it! It's the best $1000 vehicle I've ever owned. As far as I can tell, the drivetrain is all original and it runs great. It uses about a quart of oil between oil changes and starts right up at 0 degrees F.

The only weakness of this vintage Explorers is front end ball joints. I have replaced both lowers and now one of the uppers now has developed some play.

thanks for the feedback. The ones I have currently seen seem to be the 4.0L which would be a V6 and probably the same engine that was around in 91. One person has one that is ok but won't go into reverse. Whether its worn out or something else of course is impossible to determine without doing some hands on checking.

I don't want a build that becomes a money pit fixing it as much as being able to drive it.

I recently bought a 2000 Explorer, 109,000 miles on it, that will not start due to the Security System. After reading on here about the 98 and up vehicles having so many problems with the Security system, I will be looking for a 97 and older vehicle for awhile. I will park this 2000 for a couple of months to see if I can find a Security bypass. If not, it is off to the scrapper..........

Ok, I am not certain what Ford has done different. The 2002 Explorer Sport as some level of security but show THEFT on the dash when locked. I one in my JEEP and as long as keys programmed to it are used all is well. Unless there is a problem with the onboard module or failed shutting down the PCM so it won't start.

Bob- if the keys you have are not chipped or incorrectly, you can take it to the dealer as was suggested in the other thread. A couple of hours and a hundred bucks is hardly a reason to scrap a truck. You've spent way more time trying to bypass or re-diagnose a problem that has been solved already numerous times.

I was wondering why it was such a huge issue with Explorers. We've not had issues with the 02 sport and actually took i to a dealer to get a 2nd key and remote which they programmed for it. Its worked flawlessly since without issue not that there was a problem but a vehicle with only one key is a bad situation. The security systems implement are not than complex and certainly repairable given the right tool. All be it the dealers programming for access and starting is required by their computer.

I don't know what is truely different between the Sport and full Explorer but the electronics should be similar.

What bugs me the most about the 98 and newer Explorers with this built in Security System is that the vehicle has to be taken to a dealer when a problem developes. I as the owner should be able to turn off the System
if I do want it. Just my opinion.....

There are two v6 engine choices on the 97+ exploreres. The tried and true ohv 4.0 and the sohc 4.0. The sohc was known for chain rattle which is a costly repair at the garage. Best advice is really look over the truck well and make sure the transmission is tight and the engine sounds strong. The V8 with awd is the most bomb proof out of the engine options as stated earlier. I have the sohc v6 with 130,000 and its going strong. It is a nice step up in power compared to the ohv v6.

What bugs me the most about the 98 and newer Explorers with this built in Security System is that the vehicle has to be taken to a dealer when a problem developes. I as the owner should be able to turn off the System
if I do want it. Just my opinion.....

The programmed key based security should be reliable and for the most part I find they are. No problem on either the Explorer Sport or my Grand Cherokee which both have a security system. Failing security modules would be one of the worst possible issue leaving stranded anywhere anytime when the vehicle is otherwise 100& but does not recognize the keys and allow you to start and drive away. You're stuck and in need of a tow to dealer for sure.

I am no 100% if such a module failure exists on any particular year/model but I would think Ford would resolve it quickly and permanently. Its not a failure that should occur for the afore mentioned reason.

It would not steer me away from on with it. The power train is the most important issue. I don't want a fix or repair weekly, drive and fix again and again. Many new vehicles are like that under warranty but poorly built.

I just bought a 1999 SOHC V6 Limited with 208,000 miles and it runs great. Drivetrain is all original and runs like it has 50k on it. This one had all service records from new. I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage on these as long as it has been properly taken care of.

I just bought a 1999 SOHC V6 Limited with 208,000 miles and it runs great. Drivetrain is all original and runs like it has 50k on it. This one had all service records from new. I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage on these as long as it has been properly taken care of.

What configuration of power train. Switched 4x4 on dash etc.

Thx

SOHC V6 with 4x4 on the dash. I had a 5.0L V8 AWD about 5 or 6 years ago along with a Lincoln Aviator a few years ago and put well over 100k on all of them and never had any major problems. I bought this one to drive in the winter time only around here in Wisconsin.

Back