• Register Today It's free!

To flush or not....

Explo1776PA

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS Sport
After searching through the forums and gathering thoughts I decided to do something different. I am in between doing a full flush or drain and fill on my 05 v6 2wd explorer's transmission. Some say it will dislodge stuff and give you problems if you flush. Others say no. My service center says if no flush was done by 100k miles, then drain and fill is recommended because the flush will create problems. But he said prior to that it's safe. So, time for you folks to give me some opinions on this. Let's take a poll, so to speak

1.my X has 75,240k on it. flush or drain ?

2. has anyone done this at 75k and had no problems ?

3. just scared to flush because my warranty will expire at 86k

Thanks in advance folks !!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flushing a perfectly operating transmission does not cause problems. It can expose already existing problems. If a trans fails because of a flush, it probably would've failed within 10k miles anyway. I would flush it without worry. I flushed my trans with 135k on it and have not had a single problem. I now have 149k on it.

Flushed mine at 50k. I am overly cautious though. No problems. Smoothed up shifting too. I would have your rear differential serviced as well.

Did mine at 105k

Thanks everyone. I will be setting up the appointment and getting it done. Hey, any of you out there feel like a good "dad" when you do your regular maintenance ? or is it just me ? hahahaha:D :salute:

Back