Tokiko Vs Bilstein | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tokiko Vs Bilstein

Jayson

Reaction score
I've got a '93 Explorer XLT 2WD and I want to swap out shocks real bad. Buddies of mine at work are saying to go with Tokiko shocks vs the Bilsteins. I can get 4 Bilsteins for $185 or 4 Tokikos for $210. I already have aftermarket (thicker) front and rear sway bars installed, but wasn't really able to tell that much difference because I am still running factory shocks that have about 10k miles on them. Please help me out here! I want less cushy ride and want more handling.

Thanks,
Jayson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could help with the Tokikos or Bilsteins, but I can't..I have the Rancho 5000s..I also have the big sway bars and poly bushings kit.. Handling is impressive even with lift, it is much better than stock, at a $125 for the bushings and $130 for the shocks it is well worth the investment..speeds of 65 + are extremily stable and cornering is great..body sway is non existing..

Where can you get four Bilsteins for $200ish? I've been seeing them all listed at $65 a piece, no matter the shop.

Yes, do tell were you found Bilsteins for that price? I am Lifting mine and I want to get the longer bilsteins when I do.

I've always gone with the Tokicos. I put a full set on with a new set of tires and the handling improved so much that I decided not to buy bigger swaybars. Not too hard to put in. And a lifetime guarantee!

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
Yes, do tell were you found Bilsteins for that price? I am Lifting mine and I want to get the longer bilsteins when I do.

Let me e-mail the person who I talked to and see if that price will be good for you guys. It might be just a one time thing. I'll get back here as soon as I here from them.

Jayson

Originally posted by F'in Bob
I've always gone with the Tokicos. I put a full set on with a new set of tires and the handling improved so much that I decided not to buy bigger swaybars. Not too hard to put in. And a lifetime guarantee!

So you're saying that Tokicos are the way to go and for $210 they are a bargain, right?

My buddy at work told me today that Bilstein's are good, but there are quite a few auto manufacturers that use Bilsteins as OEM equipment. He said and I'll quote, "I just don't think you are going to notice that much of a change in handling with Bilsteins as you would Tokicos. Bilstein's are popular because they were the first to develop the gas pressured shock, just like MacPherson was the first company to come out with the strut, Bilstein lives off that "pioneer" reputation from there early years are in no way of the same class as the Tokico shocks. " He also semmes to think that Bilstein charge an erroneous amount for their shock when they are no better than Monroe Sensatracs which cost about 2/3 as much. I know that Bilsteins are use as OEM equipment on Chevy Z71 trucks, so I am starting to be convinced by what he is saying. Any comments?

Jayson

Originally posted by Jayson

He said and I'll quote, "I just don't think you are going to notice that much of a change in handling with Bilsteins as you would Tokicos.

Not Really True if you ask me. I have the OEM shocks on Our 91 and the bilsteins on our 92 they are a world of difference. Chevy just made a great deal with bilsteins on great shocks. I wish they came stock on Explorers...

sure

well..there IS a difference between the two, you just have to choose what you want to use them for.

Bilsteins are GREAT shocks..they are usually valved specific to their application so they ride firm and make a big handling difference, but are usually just shy of being a "harsh" shcok..too stiff.

Tokicos on the other hand, are VERY performance oriented...VERRRRRY stiff..enough that on Explorers its said to rattle your teeth. However, this compromise in ride quality shows up in drastically increased handling characteristics. If you lowered your 2WD some, plus with the sway bars you have and then Tokicos, its corner REALLY well. Almost the same for the Bilsteins, but it would ride better too.

Think Bilsteins if you want great performance and a ok ride..Tokicos if you want top performance no matter what else you sacrifice(like a smooth ride)

Teeth rattling ride? I don't think so. (lol) My sport handles great and the shocks do a great job. I speak from experience only. I bought these shocks over a year ago and installed them myself and couldn't be happier. If you want teeth rattling, get some Koni's. Teeth rattling from Tokicos? Only if your dentures are loose.

Peace.

well

it was just a general statement...Tokicos (and yes, Konis) are well known for contributing to a stiff ride...of course, most of what they make is for the sport car market..lighter vehicles. Theres reports that bilsteins, tokicos, basically any good shock makes the ride TOO stiff..but my guess is the ppl saying this expect a luxury car ride...not performance or control.

He also has an earlier model, so the ride may differ between the shocks. Overall, I'm pretty sure he would be happier with the Tokicos like yourself.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Tokico shocks from Overlander Outfitters at www.overlander.com

They have a sale going on right now, $210 plus shipping, which I thought was very good.

Thanks for all your replies,
Jayson

I have had Tokicos for about 4 years now on my 93 and they are still going strong. I agree they really handle well, but are a little rough, however I have gotten used to it. I have been impressed with their longevity, durability and performance. I probably would have worn out two other sets of shocks before now. Mike TEC

well

so where are the Bilsteins at for $185???

BTW I looked at that site and noticed the Tokicos that are on sale are the twin tube low pressure variety...NOT the monotube high pressure ones I believe your friend was telling you about. Some ppl feel a twin tube design is better for 4x4s, but you were looking for more 2WD street performance I understood. You might wanna check if monotube Tokicos are available.

Re: well

Originally posted by Anime4x4
so where are the Bilsteins at for $185???

BTW I looked at that site and noticed the Tokicos that are on sale are the twin tube low pressure variety...NOT the monotube high pressure ones I believe your friend was telling you about. Some ppl feel a twin tube design is better for 4x4s, but you were looking for more 2WD street performance I understood. You might wanna check if monotube Tokicos are available.

I'm still waiting for reply from the people. I sent them an e-mail on Wednesday and haven't heard back. I wrote them stating that I had already bought a set, but I know some people "at work" that would like to purchase Bilsteins for their Explorers...I left it at that and will send another reply to this post as soon as I hear something.

BTW, I wish you could have sent your last reply on Tuesday before I ordered my Tokicos...They arrived yesterday via FEDEX. So what can expect from these twin-tube design low pressure shocks?

Jayson

oop

well I guess it wasnt fast enough...

Your best bet would probably be to call Overlander and ask if they have Tokico monotube shocks for your application. Or check some other suspension websites to see. I'm not sure if they make the monotubes for SUVs.

I think both handle well, but monotubes offer a superior design for stiffness and handling, while twin tubes offer a better ride (usually) and more travel (hence better for off-road, 4x4s)

I dont want to get you too worried though, as the shocks you bought may work perfectly for what you want. My main concern was that the high pressure monotube Bilsteins would have suited your needs better than twin tube low pressure Tokicos. I cant say for sure though..the twin tube Tokicos might still offer better handling than the Bilsteins.

eh

hallooooooooooo???

getting desperate here..going to wind up buyin the bilsteins at Autozone for $59.95 unless I can find the website where this 4 for $185 deal exists or a better one...

Back