Too much automatic transmission fluid? 2003 Explorer V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Too much automatic transmission fluid? 2003 Explorer V6

phonics frog

Reaction score
City, State
spartanburg, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
Sorry if this is covered already, but I couldn't find a specific answer with the search function. I've read how to check the transmission fluid level (automatic). I got the car up to running temp and I believe the vehicle is level, but the fluid pours out of the check screw level hole when I remove it, rather than just drip. I turned car off before taking torx screw out. The truck looks to be level with naked eye. Is that sufficient for a good reading? I don't want to drain any fluid unnecessarily since I don't have the tools to re-add it, but I don't want to drive around with too much fluid either. Can someone confirm that if visually the car is level and it is at normal running temp, I can bleed the fluid until it is a drip from the hole? Is there a point on the car I can use a level on to confirm it is flat? Explorer is 2003 v6 with 115k. The fluid appears clean. The car is a hand me down, but I do know the fluid has been either changed or flushed and changed at least once around 90k, so if too much fluid is present it would be from that service. Operationally, the transmission seems to run ok for the mileage- the occasional lag when high speed shifting (on inclines mostly), and the odd clunk here and there which may not even be the tranny. The only reason I even checked is bc I noticed what appeared to be a single drop on outside of pan when I changed the oil and I feared it may be low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exactly what I want to know.

Sorry if this is covered already, but I couldn't find a specific answer with the search function. I've read how to check the transmission fluid level (automatic). I got the car up to running temp and I believe the vehicle is level, but the fluid pours out of the check screw level hole when I remove it, rather than just drip. I turned car off before taking torx screw out. The truck looks to be level with naked eye. Is that sufficient for a good reading? I don't want to drain any fluid unnecessarily since I don't have the tools to re-add it, but I don't want to drive around with too much fluid either. Can someone confirm that if visually the car is level and it is at normal running temp, I can bleed the fluid until it is a drip from the hole? Is there a point on the car I can use a level on to confirm it is flat? Explorer is 2003 v6 with 115k. The fluid appears clean. The car is a hand me down, but I do know the fluid has been either changed or flushed and changed at least once around 90k, so if too much fluid is present it would be from that service. Operationally, the transmission seems to run ok for the mileage- the occasional lag when high speed shifting (on inclines mostly), and the odd clunk here and there which may not even be the tranny. The only reason I even checked is bc I noticed what appeared to be a single drop on outside of pan when I changed the oil and I feared it may be low.

Bump

Back