• Register Today It's free!

Too much fluid

DDEBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
I checked the tranny (5R55E) fluid today and it's well passed the cross hatched area of the dipstick. Do I have too much? And if so, how do I drain it? I checked it while idling in Park and warmed up. Is this correct? I recently had the tranny rebuilt (AMMCO isn't very good BTW, or at least in El Paso). Also, I am not sure that they used Mercon V. Should I flush?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few millimeters from the max mark won't do damage but if its way past that mark, then (witht he engine off) you can simple disconnect the rubber transmission line at the cooler and let it drain into a catch pan/bucket. Then start the vehicle again and check the level. If its still too high, turn the vehicle off and do it again.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try draining some today. It's about 1 inch or more past the mark. Can I get Lubegard at autozone or napa?

napa should have it.

Ok, I got Lubegard Platinum. Which line off the tranny cooler should I take off to drain? Also, I put Lubegard in through the dipstick tube correct? Sorry for all the questions. I have a 2500 mile trip coming up and want the tranny in good order. Thanks.

Yes you put the additive through the transmission dipstick tube that the dipstick sits in.

If you are looking at the truck head on, the cooler line on the right hand side is the best one to remove, as this will pump the fluid through the line, instead of the left hand line which when removed will pump it onto the floor of your garage from the cooler.

It doesn't take long with the engine running to remove some fluid.

Awesome, Thanks all. After all this, I will feel more confident that the tranny will hold up better on long distances. Thanks again.

Well, I shot too much fluid out of the tranny, but refilled with Mobile Mercon V synthetic and added the Lubegard. I got the fluid where it is right above the cross hatched mark on the dipstick and I must say that it actually shifts smoother and everything is smoother overall. Thanks for the advice and if there is anymore things anyone else can recommend, please do so. Thanks again.

Back