Top Speed ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top Speed ?

I got to 100 on my X when it was stock on I-5. Felt OK but I backed down quickly.

I was at 130 mph and climbing in my grand prix GTP when I let off on US-101. Felt like it wanted to do 160 or more by the way it was pulling. I did that a long time ago. Wont do it again. Please be carefull folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here at 5200 ft, I had my 96 4.0 OHV 3.55 diff up to 101 and that was with the pedal to the floor with nothing left. Back around sea level, she has much more.

110...stock tires, auto trans and 4.10 gears...woulda gone faster but hte speedlimiter kicked in

4.0 soch w/ eddie bauer 4.11 gears
with the stock firestone tires when it was new I cruised at 120 with more to go
I dont know how this is possible because since then I cant get above 110 without the gov kicking in.

I bought it in 99 (97 ex with 27k on it)
I wouldnt recomend anyone going above 100 in an ex with more than 80k on it
now its 9 years old and 130k, everything has been replaced motor, tranny, suspension, steering rack and pump, 4x4 hubs, ball joints (upper and lower), oversized tires. even with everything replaced recently and im on top of all my maintainance. It doensnt feel al smooth as it did new.
thats all im sayin
be carefull

99stocksport said:
110...stock tires, auto trans and 4.10 gears...woulda gone faster but hte speedlimiter kicked in
Yep, same with my '00 Sport, got up to 110, and the speed limiter kicked. When it kicked in she was still pulling hard! So I KNOW it would have gone faster...maybe 120 wind resistance limited.

I only did that twice, for speeds that fast I use my RX-7. It will do 160 flat out...ahhh so I have heard. :D

105-110 stock depending on when the governor wanted to kick in on any given day, but now lifted with no rear sway bar, but much stiffer suspension i got my truck to 90, it was still pulling very slowly, but the engine was really workin and traffic was coming up, and if you take the 13% difference in tire sizes, i was doing 100-101ish, and bfg at's are speed rated at 90.

My 5.0 is so stock it still has the original spark plugs and I hit 105 before I ran out of road last week.

On I-85 in southern va. people around. my ohv pulled 115 on stock tires 3.73 open gears then speed limiter cut in

had my lifted '96 up to 95mph..rear end felt pretty light...really felt light when you started to break..otherwise it was nice.

The European versions of the X were not governed as of 99. Max speed for the 4.0 SOHC is 122 mph. Brakes were improved for the ungoverned versions. I tried it several times, it's definitely not a safe ride at speeds of more than 100 mph.

I was pulled over about two years ago for going 138mph on my 98 explorer sport. The citation ticket stated that, "Radar/Lidar Unit/ Patrol Vehicle" was used determine the speed in which I was going. Honestly I was shocked when I saw the ticket.

no way were you going that fast in a stock sport the limiter would have stopped you well before then.

I was as shocked as you are, also I'm looking at the ticket right now in front of my keyboard.

no way were you going that fast in a stock sport the limiter would have stopped you well before then.

I agree. There is no way that a stock 160hp Explorer that weighs 4300+ pounds will be able to do 138mph.

on my 5.0 I've gone 110 with the 3.73s stock everything. it wouldn't go past 110 no matter how hard I tried :( I'll steal my mom's 4.0 SOHC one day and let you know what I can reach in that

I'm pretty sure that my ex had some previous work done to the engine by the original owner. The guy that I bought it from said that, he had an " intake/exaust porting job done to it, and axle regearing"? By the way, rjcooperss396 how do you know my body weight?

The only mods that I have done to my ex are, 32'' mud star off road tires, Grill guard with hella 500's, Camburg 6.0 mid travel kit, polyurethane bushings for lower control arms, Spicer's highly polished ball joints for lower control arms, costume made long travel shackles with leaf springs of a four door explorer, and last but not least the typical cone filter. All of these mods were installed by me. (just in case anybody wants to what I have done to my ex)

I agree. There is no way that a stock 160hp Explorer that weighs 4300+ pounds will be able to do 138mph.

He probably has the sohc, with is something around 205hp, and it's a sport so it weights less than that.

on my 5.0 I've gone 110 with the 3.73s stock everything. it wouldn't go past 110 no matter how hard I tried :( I'll steal my mom's 4.0 SOHC one day and let you know what I can reach in that

That's where the speed limiter kicked in, they are are speed limited from the factory. I pushed my last one to around 130 one time, the speed limiter was removed with an aftermarket tune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has seen 120 when it had 32s and uncorrected speedo. The tune has the limiter removed.

I can only get it to 115 with the 33s. Still uncorrected though, so its probably around 122-123. It reads exactly 5mph slow at 70. Stability is decent, and I cruise 95-100 daily without worry.

Back