Tornado Air System (Fuel Saver) does it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tornado Air System (Fuel Saver) does it work?

jflores

ride on our enemies-2Pac
Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOOOOO :thumbdwn:

I think you'll find that pretty much everyone on this website and every other website is opposed to the the "Tornado." It's pure crap.

Ooookidoki... I think I get it... it doesnt work... sorry! hahah just asking

How many of you who bad mouth this product have actually tested it? Or are you just repeating what someone else has said?

aldive said:
Or are you just repeating what someone else has said?

Pretty much. :D I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen of the product demonstrated. It just plain doesn't look like it'll work. The commercials look bogus, and the whole theory looks shaky.

I know that I have personally read two-three tests done by various companies/organizations on the Tornado. All of them found it to accomplish nothing, and at certain ranges, actually hurt performance/economy.

I have never used a Tornado so I guess I can't say for sure that it doesn't work. I have also never lit myself on fire, but I am pretty sure it hurts like hell! :)

If someone can actually prove to me that it does work, I'll retract my statements immediately. I just don't think it looks like a solid product.

Robb said:
I have also never lit myself on fire, but I am pretty sure it hurts like hell! :)

LOL!

aldive said:
How many of you who bad mouth this product have actually tested it? Or are you just repeating what someone else has said?

Al, take it from an Aerospace Engineer who has an extensive background in fluid mechanics...it's junk. Swirling the air in the intake does not enhance the performance, and the added material in the intake cuts down on air flow. The air would never hold it's "swirl" past the corners, the intake runners and the valves. Swirl in the combustion chamber is good, but that needs to be developed from head, valve and piston design, not something up to several feet upstream.

Since the tornado actually blocks some airflow, I could see how they could fudge a dyno test to show the tornado improves power by messing with the a/f ratio before the test.

if it actually did what it is supposed to, then it would come stock on all vehicles

Way to keep every one ohnest Aldive
:)

JDraper said:
Al, take it from an Aerospace Engineer who has an extensive background in fluid mechanics...it's junk. Swirling the air in the intake does not enhance the performance, and the added material in the intake cuts down on air flow. The air would never hold it's "swirl" past the corners, the intake runners and the valves. Swirl in the combustion chamber is good, but that needs to be developed from head, valve and piston design, not something up to several feet upstream.

Since the tornado actually blocks some airflow, I could see how they could fudge a dyno test to show the tornado improves power by messing with the a/f ratio before the test.
Just to back this up a little, I am a NEBB Certified TAB Supervisor, i.e. I make my living by measuring and adjusting air and water flow. As JDraper pointed out, the science behind such devices is just crap. It produces nothing, and only adds static pressure to the intake system. If such a simple device actually worked, every auto maker would put these on their vehicles from the factory. If this worked, the ductwork in your home HVAC system would have one, or several, "spin chambers" in it (if your can improve airflow with a smaller fan cage/motor, every maker would use them). The water supply line to your house would have a swirl tornado device inline with it to reduce the amount of pump power needed by your local water supply company. Consumer Reports would advise every vehicle owner to purchase one. BUT, as it stands, none of these situtations exist. The Tornado is just a gimic device only purchased by a few.

Just think about it this way.

If there was a way to improve ANY vehicles fuel economy and increase HP with a 10 cent piece of metal, there isn't a single automobile manufacturer out there that wouldn't install it on EVERY new car that rolled off their assembly line.

What really hacks me off is they charge 30-80 bucks for one of these pieces of **** that isn't worth the cardboard they are packaged in.

Honestly, if it only took a piece of metal to do all the things they claim it does... it would be standard equipment on every new car sold... it would help manufactures meet CAFE requirements and make the cars more desireable.

BUSTED!!!!

If you wanna stick something under your hood to improve airflow, performance and mpg then I suggest a K&N GenII FIPK. I've seen those Tornado adds on in the middle of the night and they might as well have Tony Little on a Gazelle telling you to install it. POS through and through.

Hi there... I actually have direct experience with it on my highly modded 01 F-150 4.6 Auto. A couple of years back I got one off a friend for $20 after his truck was hit. I've always used my G-Tech pro with great results, and found that it is pretty accurate compared to a real dyno (compared twice, within 1-2 hp / tq).
Results? On the Tornado, a reported loss of 5 hp from 2000 rpm up. On torque, even-steven. Drivability? (the important thing) Definite seat of the pants loss, especially at peak rpms!

those g-tech things seem to be hit or miss. My stock supra was putting down 900 hp on one. that was funny as hell. glad to hear yours is more accurate

raginraj said:
If you wanna stick something under your hood to improve airflow, performance and mpg then I suggest a K&N GenII FIPK. I've seen those Tornado adds on in the middle of the night and they might as well have Tony Little on a Gazelle telling you to install it. POS through and through.

hum... where can I get one of those for my X? bcus I was doing some research and all I can find is the ones for Expeditions and Navigators and F-Series... I'll keep searching and thanks again!

:burnout:

found it! haha! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back