Torque Converter causes vibration in park at 3K RPMs and at 70+ mph. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter causes vibration in park at 3K RPMs and at 70+ mph.

Everett Bartz

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Good morning. I've a 2005 Explorer with 160,000+ miles. Replaced engine with a 3rd party remanufactured, rebuilt the transmission and transfer case. New fluid lines and cooling coil. Picked up a remanufactured torque converter locally. I think my torque converter is out of balance as it makes the truck shake at 70+ MPH. And while in park with the RPMs at 3k. No shudder in any gear. The transmission shifts smoothly. I'll repeat that while in park and my wife's foot on the accelerator, the vibration is quite noticeable at 3k RPMs. Was under it watching and feeling the transmission and engine. The flex plate has no cracks. So I'm thinking that the torque converter needs to be replaced. I did notice something rattling in the torque converter, but thought nothing of it as I trusted the local transmission shop. Peace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the whole truck shake or just in the seat bottom or in the steering wheel. Just curious as to why you would be revving the engine at 3k rpms in park?

Hi, I got under the vehicle to watch the engine and transmission while my wife stepped on the gas. Its just in the engine/Transmission where that vibration occurs and again in park. Trying to emulate what I feel when driving.

When rebuilding the transmission, I put in a Superior Transmission shift kit, new solenoid pack. All new bushings, seals, orings. When I replaced the engine, I did nothing to the transmission and everything was all nice and smooth. I did have shifting problems with the transmission as the intermediate friction plates were all worn out and the orings and seals were hard and worn. But my point is that this vibration I am finding was after all this work.

Usually when a vehicle starts shaking/vibrating at highway speed first thing I go after is the balance of the wheels and tires. I rebuilt my trans in my 02 EB and the only vibration I had was the wheels and tires and rechecked the alignment.

Usually when a vehicle starts shaking/vibrating at highway speed first thing I go after is the balance of the wheels and tires. I rebuilt my trans in my 02 EB and the only vibration I had was the wheels and tires and rechecked the alignment.

Already went through all that before.

Did I say that the Explorer was in park?

What if you do not get the 12 quarts of transmission fluid into it? I can only get around 8 and the stand pipe tells me its full. I have run it several times and keep checking and its full. Ill add that I put in that updated fluid control valve that allows for continuous fluid flow.

Your trans will over heat if there isn't enough fluid in it. But the message center will tell that if you dont have enough fluid in it.

After sitting around here I went out and started old blue up and warmed up the transmission oil. Pulled that stand pipe plug and added 2.5 quarts of transmission fluid bringing the total to around 10 qts. Then took the wife for a test drive and the vibration began 5 MPH sooner. We got home and I had her step on the gas and when it hit the rev limiter I did not see that vibration like I did the other day so this now could well be the wheel alignment. When I dropped that transmission, I remember that cross member kinda popping or cracking when I loosened the bolts. So I think I am onto something now.

That Superior Transmission Shift kit has a modification for that thermostat which blocks it wide open.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Back