torque converter clutch solenoid install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque converter clutch solenoid install

ronnie mullins

Reaction score
City, State
taylorsville north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt 4x4
I need some help on the torque converter clutch solenoid install.My converter locks up for about the fist 5 miles of driving then the o/d light starts blinking and no more lock up.Pull over turn truck off,restart and the lights not blinking but I don't have converter lock up.If some one could tell me how to install the solenoid that would be great.All Pro transmission read codes and drove it and said that was likely the problem.But any help from you guys would be great.THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ronnie if you can just focus on the valve body removal and then teardown portions relevant to your job, you have a guide with pictures in the thread "My A4LD Rebild Diary - parts 1 and 2".

Simply put, drop the pan, disconnect the solenoid wiring and also the shift linkage to the manual valve and drop the valve body. Remove the separator plate, remove and reinstall TC solenoid, replace the paper gasket (most likely gonna be necessary but maybe not if you are careful) Reasemble and torque bolts and reverse steps, add fluid and voila. Done.

Just don't tip it over because things will fall out and no one here will be able to tell you where things go. Glacier's photos are representitive of what to expect but your's will be different.

Good point Opera House - I somehow was thinking he had an A4LD, but as he has a 96 it would be the 4R series, without what ? 5 Solenoids? Be worth while to pick up a manual for it.

I was thinking about getting a manual but the parts stores here don't carry, them where can I pick one up?

Try Bulkparts.com

Back