Torsion bar pads?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar pads??

Lazzman said:
I would love to save a few bucks- but I don't want to be the one that is embarassed when he can't finish the job and has to have the truck towed to the mechanic. It has happened to me before

I'm with ya on that one. I will never touch lower balljoints again due to a not-so-good experience. Do what you have to do to get it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will do am going to get a price today so I will post... 98% sure it is the torsion bar pads because after I sprayed them the noise was totaly gone, then a few hours after it started coming back, two days later it was back in full swing.

Figure the price of the pads and 2-3 hours labor AT MOST

Rear Torsion Bar Pads??

Hello, I am trying to replace these worn out rear torsion pads and despite all the kind words here about doing it myself, I opted to have my much more experienced mechanic do it. I just got off the phone with him and he told me that when he spoke with the Ford parts dept, they told him that there is no such part as a rear torsion bar pad for a 1998 Explorer. I know this is bullcrap as I have seen them on this site and they clearly do exist, I have also seen them on my truck when I sprayed them down for testing.

If anyone can help with a link or Ford part number for the rear Torsion bar pads for a 1998 Explorer Sport I would be very grateful.

Thanks

there are pads in your 98 but they do not wear out. The 95-97's have the ones with pads I beleive. It is actually a whole tortion key

anybody know the Ford part number for the torsion bar adjusters so I can order them for replacement?? I have a 98 Sport.

any one have any pics of it. being replaced??

I merged these 2 threads, because you really don't need to have 2 threads about your torsion bar pads.

Also they are not "rear" torsion bar pads, as that would indicate that there are also front torsion bar pads, and that is not the case. The mechanic is right in the fact that there are no "rear" torsion bar pads.

davidmmm69 said:
any one have any pics of it. being replaced??

I have a couple of pictures on the 2nd page of my gallery that show this.

Could not find them on the second page of your "gallery" as stated.

Also, I just want to get this fixed why am i getting such a run around? I am sure most everyone knows what I mean as this is a common problem.

To be perfectly correct the Ford repair manual refers to this as the Torsion Bar Insulator. Mine is obviously worn after 7 years and 127k mi. Does anyone know how to find a replacement?? :confused:

236147_61_full.jpg

They are torsion bar isolators. Print that pic out, and take it to your mechanic. He should be able to give Ford the numbers they need.

Ray Lobato said:
I have a couple of pictures on the 2nd page of my gallery that show this.

Nice thanks Ray...

Thanks Rob, that is a real lifesaver, I was banging my head trying to figure this out. Where did you get that awesome diagrame

Thanks again :D for coming through.....

1995 Explorer Torsion Pads (rear)

There is a clunkin noise from under my explorer and I think it is a result of the rear "pads" on the tortion bar - is this a big job to replace and can you just replace these "pads"? Also I have to adjust both sides occasionaly because one side goes lower than the other - this seems to help with the clunking noise for awhile - is there a proper setting for the adjustimng bolts? Thanks

Will do am going to get a price today so I will post... 98% sure it is the torsion bar pads because after I sprayed them the noise was totaly gone, then a few hours after it started coming back, two days later it was back in full swing.

I have a 1995 Explorer and have the same problem - what did you spraythem with?

torsion pad

236147_61_full.jpg

they are torsion bar isolators. Print that pic out, and take it to your mechanic. He should be able to give ford the numbers they need.

so what actually wears out the plastic pad or the metal pad?
5b334 or 5b333

5B334, $35 from Ford.

so its 334, and that one is the metal one correct? not the plastic part, oh and thanks for the quick response, happy holidays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually thought it was one part with the blue material attached. The isolator we are talking about can fall out if the key is removed, nothing holds it in except the torsion bar pressure. I've had one out but just long enough to glance at it and put it back. I doubt they wear much at all.

Attachments

• 99Torsionbarisolator.JPG
    99Torsionbarisolator.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,431

Back