Torsion bar question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar question

keggersport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
K I don't post here often and I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I would like to know if the torsion bar can be taken out turned say a quarter turn and placed back in. Would this have any effect on its "spring"? Reason I'm asking is I feel mine are getting weak and I thought because it has 230000kms on them only going one way would it benefit them by turning them? If not I'll look into getting new bars for it. I plan on redoing the entire front suspension in the spring....just gathering parts now!

Reclocking the torsion bars will do nothing if they are weak. Same applies to turning the torsion keys one flat (60 degrees) if it's possible at all. Have you tried tightening the bolts to reduce the sag and restore some front height? Seems to work for most, at least short term. If you bottom out the stock bolts, use longer M12x1.75 pitch, class 10.9 bolts around 100mm. Also make sure
you lift the tires off the ground and heat the bolt heads to soften the overused blue threadlock used on the bolt threads. GL

My 2008 Ranger had the same issue, i thought the bars were weak as i just bought the truck and the nose was way down,,
i jacked the truck up, tightened the bars , and that went away in a hurry,,
it was the same on my 99 Explorer when i got it, so i leveled it out same way,,
one thing i would do after that is maybe just get the alignment checked ,
tightening the bars can affect both camber and the toe in, causing early tire wear,

I guess I should also say that I have warrior shackles and a TT already. I run a 265/75r16 tire. I figured that turning the torsion bar wouldn't do anything. I guess I'll have to find a new set of bars. I'm also planning on doing an aal. Thanks guys.

Back