Torsion/Coilover Conversion | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion/Coilover Conversion

So would that be an 8" shock AND an 8" coil? And is this @ ride height from eye to eye? Thanks man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the numbers are 13 inch collapsed, and 19.5 inch extended for the shock, , , and a 12 inch 750 in/lb spring for a 4 door,,

QA1 shock length and coil length are the same. 8" shock, 8" coil, / 10" shock, 10" coil, etc...

To figure out your extended and collapsed numbers, look up the specs on the stock front shocks of your vehicle. As long as the new shocks fall under (or the same) your good to go.

2wd &4wd will play a part in what you can use with those numbers. 2wd can have greater numbers then 4wd because of no CV axles, but the stock bump stops will still limit the collapsed rate.

Bringing this back up since I just received my c/o brackets and it's time to choose the coilover. I made the mistake of not measuring anything stock and trashing it, but do you guys have a good recommendation for a qa1 coilover to where I would be a couple inches lower than stock, but also have the option to go up or down a few inches? Does unscrewing/screwing the sleeve on these give that much adjustment? This is a street rod being built on my 98 chassis by the way. Thanks in advance..
You'll get at least 3" of adjustment on the shock itself, which translates into around 6" of ride height asjustment, since the shock mounts just about half way between the bushings (pivot point) and the ball joints. What I would suggest is putting your wheels on, with the suspension assembled (minus springs, torsion bars, shocks, etc), and the coilover brackets installed, and jacking the frame until it's at about the ride height you want. Measure between the shock mount points of the coilover brackets. Then lower the frame down to where your bump stop hits, and measure that, and jack the frame as high as you might possibly want it to travel, and measure that. Then call the shock manufacturer, or place you plan on purchasing them, and give them those measurements, and they can recommend the shock. If you are using 4wd or AWD in your project, make sure you tell them that you're going to need to run extended rod ends, so they can take this into account (they are needed to clear the CV axle).

Hope this helps!

If you are using 4wd or AWD in your project, make sure you tell them that you're going to need to run extended rod ends, so they can take this into account (they are needed to clear the CV axle).

QA1 Coil over shocks work right out of the box as is, as long as the LCA bracket is mounted in the proper position.

Make sure you order the shocks with the STEEL rod end bearings. I found out the hard way the bearings that come with them (plastic inserts) do not work for this application. The steel set up has lasted a few years with no signs of problems. The plastic insert type lasted one day on some trails. :thumbdwn:

QA1 Coil over shocks work right out of the box as is, as long as the LCA bracket is mounted in the proper position.

Make sure you order the shocks with the STEEL rod end bearings. I found out the hard way the bearings that come with them (plastic inserts) do not work for this application. The steel set up has lasted a few years with no signs of problems. The plastic insert type lasted one day on some trails. :thumbdwn:

Ditto. I have forgotten the shock lengths but all I did was measure the droop and get the QA1 that matched the length extended. If my memory isn't too fuzzy I do think Corkey's measurement in post #142 is correct.

I did a quick search in my registry, (Page 22 of the BH) for the specs on the QA1 shocks I used. I used a 12" shock and coil spring. I wanted them longer than the normal 10" size used by everybody that doesn't have a lift, so I wouldn't have to crank down so far on the spinner nuts to get the lift I was after, and limit straps adjusted to stop down travel before they bottom out. So remember, no lift, 10" shock. Lifted will take a longer shock depending on the lift size. My use of 12" with no lift was an experiment, and so far I have made it work for my use for off road use, but for street use, I would definitely go 10". Maybe experiment with different coil rates for lowered use. :dunno:

The 12" I used have these numbers, and are above stock extended, and close to stock collapsed rate.

Specs:
QA1 shock part # DR5855B--Collapsed =11.630"--Extended =17.000" with steel bearing bushing.

rockauto.com says most stock replacements are all around 13 collapsed, and 18 or just over at full extension,,

:hammer::help:hey guys any of you still around?
has anyone extended there a-arms? how about made there own brackets? i have a 4 door 2 wheel drive and can you get more travel with two wheel drive? thanks

Back