Torsion/Coilover Conversion | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion/Coilover Conversion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cannot remember... I do know that the best fit will be 12" and 750 pound rating. I had bought 10" and 800lbs which was a little too short and a little too stiff.

Cannot remember... I do know that the best fit will be 12" and 750 pound rating. I had bought 10" and 800lbs which was a little too short and a little too stiff.

These 10" 800# were installed on a 15" shock, correct?

The 12" coil will still fit on the 15"? Do you think a regular spring compressor will work to get them on? Just thinking aloud here.

Thanks for the help.

:salute:

Yeah you'll need a spring compressor.

I installed these on a stock height ( well lifted a few inches) mountaineer. 12", 750 lb coils, and haven't had any problems. Clearances were TIGHT. Had to get stainless brake lines for the front to clear the coils. I had previously installed limit straps, and i think they are a must. It will give you a little more droop in the front end and you can make sure that it doesn't ruin the upper ball joint. I also had lowered the front axle when i had the motor out by dropping the mounts an inch. It helped as well.

As for the ride, I'll say it wasn't as nice as i was expecting. It's been almost 4k miles. It is better then the old t-bars, but was it worth the money... Its a toss up. I've got to dig through to find the pictures, but i'll put them up shortly.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a conversion on my 2009 ranger, does anyone have a complete list of parts #'s needed, and does anyone sell it as a kit?

thanks, never dealt with coilovers, what are a good set ( mild off roading/mudding ) , and what spring weight ( installing a 125lb bumper soon )

read the thread?

Are you worried that brake line hangs down too far and away from the suspension? To me it looks like it would get snagged or caught up on something. Might just be the camera angle :dunno:

IMG_0627.jpg

I'm interested in doing this conversion, and i was looking on QA1's site, and there isn't a coil over shock that we could use for our truck, at least not for the off roading set ups.. where did you get the shocks?

Justin

There's several QA1 shocks depending on the length you need. I didn't look for "offroad" applications just the length I needed.

I forgot the part number but I did get mine from Summit and there's a 15 inch one that works fine.... I originally bought 14" but they were too short. This is on mine with no front suspension lift.

Thanks for all the pics and the write-ups! I'm thinking of doing this on my '98 4x4 Sport. Would it be possible to fabricate a heavily reinforced shock tower above the OEM tower and go with a longer shock/coil? I have a prerunner bumper I could tie it into also.

Well I am finally getting around to doing this Mod. Thanks to Gerald' research on this (Thank You Sir) and helping me along with the thought process I have made up my mind on what my set up is going to be.

QA1 shock part # DR5855B--Collapsed =11.630"--Extended =17.000" with steel bearing bushing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-DR5855B/
These are longer than the 10" shock. I am hoping I can have more adjustment with the longer shock and ease of installing the longer coils. My fear is they are too long to work, time will tell.

Eibach coils part # EIB1200.250.0750--12"x2.5"x750 lb - silver in color
https://www.offroadwarehouse.com/pr...39/sfID1/9/sfID2/280/sfID3/281/productID/3641

I went with the longer extension shock (17") and will be using limit straps instead of relying on the shocks for a stop. There is just a thin piece of metal on the shocks holding the coils in place, and that kinda has me spooked to use for a stop. The collapsed rate is just a fraction different( then the 12"-- 15" ext. shock (P#4955b).

I have the Sport Trac T-bars, and can't wait to rid myself of these. I also rely on the 2" TT with 100mm bolts for lift. This set up will allow me to have the 2" of lift I require and remove the T-bars for a softer ride & no more hang ups while wheeling on them.

Shocks and coils have been delivered, just waiting on the brackets and gussets to install. The rig will be on a lift in 2 weeks doing a manual trans swap, hopefully everything falls into place & I will be able to do this conversion at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just figured to share a little on your thread of the install, hope you don't mind :)

Mocked up with the 12" shocks. Not adjusted yet, nuts are backed out all the way still. I set the max travel on the LCA/CV with the limit straps first. Once that is accomplished, then the ride height can be achieved with the coil compression. I opted to remove the swaybar permanently, and use the mount hole for my budget build strap location. I like the strap tucked in the middle and not outside of the LCA to get snagged on something. When compressed, it will fold in towards the frame rail.

Gussets need welded, re-routing of the brake & abs lines, & paint, is all that's left to do.
Then off to get an alignment after they are adjusted to my liking.
passmockup1.jpg

12inchlimitstrap1.jpg

Back