Torsion Key and TT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Key and TT

Reaction score
City, State
Bushnell, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4
TT questions that have never been asked!

I know that you can get roughly 2" of lift using the TT technique, but can you use a torision key for 2" and TT for another 2" so that you get 4" in the front or is this going to have a 4" effect on you CV Joints? I am just trying to figure out if the torsion key effects the CV's the same as the TT does.
Also I am trying to go to 33 or maybe 32 inch tires. How much is this going to through off my speedometer and how can I adjust it? Thanks guys.

I see a lot of threads about people concerned with fitting thier tires hieght wise but what about getting the width to clear? Will tires in the 12.5 inch width range on factory wheels fit without rub worries or will I need different wheels or spacers? Looking at 32 or 33 inch tires. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These questions have been answered a bajllion and two times. Did you try the search feature?

You cannot crank your torsion bars more than 2". Well, you can... but you shouldn't.

12.5 wide tires? Rubbing? It's all relative to your lift. Will a 33x12.50 rub with 5" of lift. Probably not. Will it rub with no lift? Yes. With a TT? Yes.

There is an awesome thread with a chart for lifts and max tire sizes. You should check that out.

What I was meaning was does the Torsion key's 2" count as 2 inches of lift against my CV joints or can I do that and the 2"TT? Or will this count as 4" against my CV joints? I am just trying to max out the front lift without hurting my CV joints.

cranking the bars and buying the keys will have the same effect and youll get the same amount of lift. Its cheaper and ALOT easier to just climb under and crank up the stock bars.

Back