• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist question

jujuss07

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisville, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ST 4x4
ok so i searched the forum on how to do a torsion twist. but i still have a couple of questions though. where do you measure to-and-from to know how much lift you got out of it? i heard you mesure from the tire to the body, but others have said from the bar to the cab. so i dont know. im planning on doing this soon after i get my new tires and shackles.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pick any place you want on the front and measure. It does not have to be a certain place, just get a before and after measurement.

Chad

I think most guys measure the top of the wheel well when they do it.

Also if you did search, you would have seen this Torsion Bar 101 thread that has anything and everything you need to know about how to do it. ;)

Good luck.

ok thanks guys.

so im safe as long as i dont go any higher than about 2"? less than that wont put stress on the CV joint?

That seems to be the "rule" that everyone goes with. :thumbsup:

if i were you i wouldnt go over 1.5-1.75 inches. 2" is the absolute limit but why risk it. plus if you're in the same boat i am you could risk your warrunty by messing up the cv joints that way

yeah, i still have about 5k left on the warranty. so i probably wont go that high.

Since were on Torsion twisting, has anybody encountered a stuck torsion bolt and couldnt get it to turn even after a good liquid wrench/wd40 soaking? I got my leafs rearched a lil while back so the rear is sitting level again but after months of trying to compensate for the sag by lowering i'm having a helluva time getting the drivers side back up. I even jacked it up and used the gear puller to relieve the tension but all that did was start to bend out the frame on the cross member where the puller attached! Any suggestions short of having the bolt cut out and replaced?

anyone got ideas for the bolts being stuck, i soaked them and they wont turn, i dont want to snap them off that would suck

impact gun and socket
that dont work then a shop who can do it on a lift with a air gun.
one of those should work.

i got an impact gun but i was scared it would twist the bolt right off, should i try not jacking it up?

Yep, I snapped a bolt on mine last time I messed with them. I went to a junkyard to get a replacement bolt and thingy that it goes in to.

Back