tow another x | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tow another x

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
i know this has come up before, but i found some contradictary info. can i safely tow another x with my x? i have a 92 with the "towing package" i another x for under $800 only problem is a bad tranny. so i was just gonna take out the tranny, toss it and tow it back to my garage then put in a new trans. would this work? or would i toast my trans trying it? i have a class III hitch and i can get the trailer from a friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I towed my buddies x with mine but it was a short distance(15 miles). I used a car dolly. Technicaly, your not suppose to tow another vehicle of the same weight but you know how that goes.

i towed a 92 sport with my 94 xlt 4 door on a flat bed trailer for 200 miles.. it did great untill i hit the hills then it did not do so good.. i smoked my trannie. best of luck

gary

If you tow any distance you stand to end up with 2 Explorers with bad trannies. I towed my dads pick 8-10 miles on slow goin back roads(never broke 45) and killed my last trans, which had been rebuild 13k before. I wouldn't risk it. $80 for a towing is much cheaper than a rebuild.

Originally posted by Josh
Technicaly, your not suppose to tow another vehicle of the same weight but you know how that goes.

So you can't tow a 4-door with a 2-door. :rolleyes: OO geeze, better start begging for the Z71.

The Ex has a rated towing capacity, so as long as you do not exceed the capacity or the combined curb weight, you should not have any problems towing. The real issue about towing vehicles of equal weight is the braking. I can't remember the laws, but think that it is along the lines of any trailer exceeding 2000# needs to have independant brakes. Part of the reason for this is that your truck's brakes are not designed for the combined load.

Also, keep in mind that you need to add the weight of the trailer you are using into the gross weight/towing/braking capacity equation.

jetmaker

i towed my buddy's 79 half-ton chevy truck with my 95 2wd ranger,

it wasn't very far though, but that Ranger had decent power for a 3.0 automatic

but from all the talk that i hear about the 1st gen trannys being weak i guess i wouldn't try it either,

i would ask to borrow a truck from relative or a buddy

I'd certainly not tow anything heavy with a v6 Explorer for 12 hours. It's asking for trouble.

Back