Tow Capabilities of 02 to 05 Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Capabilities of 02 to 05 Explorers

jimwentz

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I am shopping for a 2002 to 2005 Explorer. I do not currently need heavy tow capabilities but it is likely in the next couple years. Therefore, while shopping I want to be able to identify if a candidate vehicle has an OEM tow package... how do I do this? I dont want to base my conclusion on the presence of a class III hitch since that could have been added.

What is included in the tow package vs what is standard?
class II vs III hitch?
oil clooer?
trans cooler?
3.55 vs 3.73 gear ratio?

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK... I'm not getting any replies so let try a variation of the question...

What is included in the Tow package option?
Oil cooler?
trans cooler?
3.73 gears (only for the 4.0 liter engine)?
class III hitch?

Were any of those items standard without the tow option?

I am new here too, but I was just shopping for my first explorer needing to have the tow package for our camper. It is my understanding from my local ford dealer that the only attributes to a tow package on an 02 to 05 is the class III hitch, the seven wire trailer socket and the 3.73 limited slip rear. All other items as coolers etc.. are the same.

fprodget said:
I am new here too, but I was just shopping for my first explorer needing to have the tow package for our camper. It is my understanding from my local ford dealer that the only attributes to a tow package on an 02 to 05 is the class III hitch, the seven wire trailer socket and the 3.73 limited slip rear. All other items as coolers etc.. are the same.
I have an 02. It has the factory package. It has the cass III hitch, seven pin trailer socket, trans cooler, and it also cam with another plug that plugs in under the dash and alows you to wire your trailer brakes.

That's all that I know of.

Vic

If you plan to tow a lot and especially tow heavy things then go with the V8 Explorer. I say this for a few reasons besides just the engine itself. While they have the power the V8's also came with a higher rated tow package (as an option) from the factory (C III) which have a 3.73LS rear end versus an open 3.55 in the V6's and also extra tranny cooler.

Here is a link to a website with the original Ford Towing Guide for 2003 model year. That is the year EX that I ended up getting. In the guide there is a matrix of the attributes of all of the fords produce that year with the equipment provided with trailer towing packages.

http://www.meadowlandford.com/2003 towing guide.pdf

Very nice article. That is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe that should be a sticky.

Also, people have referred to trans coolers on Explorers in other threads. Are they standard or is that an aftermarket mod (if it were part of the tow package it would have been in that article's table for tow package equipment)?

How much and how far do you plan on towing? The Explorer is not a "great" tow vehicle. Something like the 1999-2003 Expedition with a solid rear axle would be better for frequent towing. I own a 2005 Explorer with the V6 and class II hitch (no factory tow package) and I tow a small John Deere tractor on a car hauler tandem trailer three or four times a month, but only about three miles and I never get over 40 mph. For that it works, but I would not want to get on the highway with it. The tail definately wags the dog in my case.

jimwentz said:
Very nice article. That is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe that should be a sticky.

Also, people have referred to trans coolers on Explorers in other threads. Are they standard or is that an aftermarket mod (if it were part of the tow package it would have been in that article's table for tow package equipment)?

It is a part of the towing package.

I was wondering if mine would pull a 14' Tandem Enclosed Trailer, Empty, with electric brakes. I don't think it will.

CaptainObvious said:
I was wondering if mine would pull a 14' Tandem Enclosed Trailer, Empty, with electric brakes. I don't think it will.

Check what the total weight and tongue weight for that trailor is and then take things from there.

rocket 5979 said:
It is a part of the towing package.

where is it located? My 02' Mounty has the towing package and I was told by the dealer that even the "towing package" equipt Explorer/mountaineers didn't get a tranny cooler........ I just got a 28,000 GVW B&M for it too (I suppose I should have looked first)

rancherlee said:
where is it located? My 02' Mounty has the towing package and I was told by the dealer that even the "towing package" equipt Explorer/mountaineers didn't get a tranny cooler........ I just got a 28,000 GVW B&M for it too (I suppose I should have looked first)

I didn't look too closely but it is probably the little radiator that is about 3"x6" or so under there. Either that little rad is for the power steering or the trans. I forget.

Back