• Register Today It's free!

Tow Package

DMesk

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited
I am looking at 2011 Explorers and the dealer is checking on whether the tow package comes with a hitch. Anybody know? Second it sounds like you dont get a spare tire when you have the tow package. Really NO spare tire? But what if? So tow package or spare tire. CAn it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the tow package comes with a hitch. I got a chance to see the new explorer late last summer and it had a hitch. The hitch has a removeable plastic cover that molds to the rear bumper so it remains hidden except when used.

I am not sure about the spare question though. The new explorer might hold it's spare underneath a false floor in the trunk?

May I ask what good a tow package would be if it didn't come with a hitch?

I do believe that's the story with the spare. Does seem messed up.

Depending on what you'll be towing, why not get a full sized spare and bolt it to the trailer? A spare isn't full-size anyway.

Just a thought.

Same thing I was wondering. It has to come with a hitch.

I wonder if there is still room for the small spare where its suppose to be. I dont like them but better than nothing or a can of fixaflat.

My '11 has the trailer tow package. It does not come with a hitch but a class 3 reciever for a hitch just like the 2002-2010's had. It also comes wired for the trailer lights and is all hidden by a plastic cover that you remove when you need to use it. My '11 also has a spare tire but not full size and also a mini compressor with a gauge and tube of "goo" to temporarily fix a flat on the full size tires if necessary. Hope this helps.

Now that a good reply. Its comes with a mini spare and a can. Did it come that way or did you need to ask for the mini spare? Reciever is the correct term. The goo and air comp are for you trailer flat I suppose
Thanks

It comes this way with the trailer tow package. I didn't have to ask for anything additional. Th compressor is actually quite nice and seems like a high quality pc of equipment.

That is weird the ford reps on the face book have clearly stated a few times that if you get the tow package there is no spare just a tire repair kit.

I don't remember the ford rep ever stating the spare was dropped....
But that facebook page grows so quickly I might have missed it.

The Ford rep did confirm that when the tow package is added, a wiring harness is left under the dash for the connection of a trailer brake controller.

Anybody with a new Ex want to look for it, and maybe take a pic?

I eyeballed an 11 XLT today with the towing package. It has a Class III receiver hidden behind a removable fascia with both 4 and 7 pin connectors. Since it has the 7 pin connector, it will have the wiring for the brake controller. I don't know if it comes installed or if it comes in a baggy in the glovebox for future installation (like the one with my F-150 did). I'll find out in about 10 days when mine is delivered.

It does have a spare tire in the well behind/under the 3rd row seating. I pulled the cover up to make sure, and it was there. The one I looked at was a 202A-XLT package

My '11 has the trailer tow package. It does not come with a hitch but a class 3 reciever for a hitch just like the 2002-2010's had. It also comes wired for the trailer lights and is all hidden by a plastic cover that you remove when you need to use it. My '11 also has a spare tire but not full size and also a mini compressor with a gauge and tube of "goo" to temporarily fix a flat on the full size tires if necessary. Hope this helps.

Mine is the same way. Have you found any reasonably good place to hide that can o' goo & compressor package? I wish it would fit in that cubby in the back compartment, but no such luck. I find myself CONSTANTLY having to move it around, and it's starting to annoy me...

I keep it under the driver seat.

That's a good idea... I'll give it a shot. I always have the seat as low as it will go, so we'll see if it fits. I guess it can always go under the passenger seat. :thumbsup:

Anyone mounted a trailer brake controller yet? I didn't look on the display models at the NAIAS for a good place to mount mine. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller.

Just wondering if they have left the cable on the driver's side this time. My '02 was on the passenger side.

tow package front air intake bigger/lower?

Does anyone know if the larger front air intake in the front bumper/grill lowers the ground clearance for the bumper or is the hole just bigger than models with no tow package?

I'm pretty sure it does NOT lower the ground clearance but instead moves the inlet up into the existing cowling. If I can find pictures of the 2 I'll post them. I keep a library of them...... only thing to do during my 5 month wait ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone mounted a trailer brake controller yet? I didn't look on the display models at the NAIAS for a good place to mount mine. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller.

Just wondering if they have left the cable on the driver's side this time. My '02 was on the passenger side.

I'm hopefully going to get to that this weekend. I have a Curt Captivator 4 controller that came out of my F-150. I'll post up what I find.

Back