Tow Package | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Package

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

re: Brochure Error - Class II Hitch !?

I ordered the printed brochure from the Ford web-site.
"Trailer Tow Package, Class II" is listed under Exterior Options.
As members have already verified here, that's a mistake. So don't be alarmed.
- My local Ford salesman had to check to make sure it's really Class III.

He was still confused about the spare tire being in the vehicle, or not in the vehicle if the Tow Package is ordered. It's good to see members are on top of things here.

I can absolutely confirm that the tow package is a Class III receiver with both 4 pin and 7 pin connections, and it comes with the spare.

BTW, found the connector for the Brake controller, but they forgot to give me the connecting pigtail between the controller and the vehicle. Got it on order.

The connector is under the driver's side to the left of the steering column.

BTW, found the connector for the Brake controller, but they forgot to give me the connecting pigtail between the controller and the vehicle. Got it on order.

The connector is under the driver's side to the left of the steering column.
Cool. Thanks. And my factory connector on the 2002 just plugs into the Tekonsha controller. No pigtail was required. I think it was a flat 3 or flat 4 connector.

The tow package also gives you an oil cooler. Did my 2007 Eddie Bauer have this too?

Tried to get the wiring pigtail to go from the Explorer to the brake controller from my dealership. Their computer didn't list one so they contacted Ford. According to Ford, there isn't one for the '11 Explorer. However, the connector under the dash is the same as the one on my '05 F-150, so I pinned it out, and it matches. So, if you want the pigtail for your brake controller, buy one for an '05 F-150. The pigtail does have an extra wire in it for illumination, but the Explorer doesn't have a pin in that position in the harness, so the wire can be ignored.

Thankfully, when I took the controller out of my F-150, I kept the harness so I can just plug it into my X. :)

Back