• Register Today It's free!

Tow Weight Limit 2014 XLT

geecee58

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer LXT
I have a 2014 XLT Explorer. I want to pull a travel trailer. I don't want to pull anything too heavy, but would like to find something between 2500 to 3500 lbs. dry weight. According to what I read in 2014 FORD EXPLORER TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Maximum towing capacity (properly equipped) is 5000 lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is correct as long as you have the factory installed class III tow package. You would also require a weight distribution hitch if going over 2000 lbs.
The towing info is also on page 280 of the Owner's Manual, 3rd pront.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is correct as long as you have the factory installed class III tow package. You would also require a weight distribution hitch if going over 2000 lbs.
The towing info is also on page 280 of the Owner's Manual, 3rd pront.

Peter
Thanks. I'm going to have to check on line for the owner's manual. I bought my 2014 used, and didn't notice the manual was missing until sometime later when I wanted to check something out. My Explorer doesn't have a hitch, so that will be something I'll have to have installed.

Thanks. I'm going to have to check on line for the owner's manual. I bought my 2014 used, and didn't notice the manual was missing until sometime later when I wanted to check something out. My Explorer doesn't have a hitch, so that will be something I'll have to have installed.
With no factory hitch you are limited to 2000lbs. No matter what hitch you install.

Michael is correct. With an aftermarket hitch, you are legally limited to 2000 lbs.
as for the manual, here you go; https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/Explorer/2014/owner-manuals/

Peter

One other thing that you need to consider when looking for a trailer is that what is quoted is the dry weight of the trailer and not the loaded weight.
You also need to figure the water, propane, food, clothing, and bedding once everything is loaded into that trailer. So that trailer that you might be looking at that has a dry weight of 2500-3000 lbs will weight closer to 4,000-5,000 lbs once everything is loaded inside of it.

With no factory hitch you are limited to 2000lbs. No matter what hitch you install.
Michael is correct. With an aftermarket hitch, you are legally limited to 2000 lbs.
as for the manual, here you go; https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/Explorer/2014/owner-manuals/

Peter
Thanks. I think, as much as I love my Ford Explorer, when I get it paid off next year, I will probably trade it in for a Class B/B plus RV. I'm almost 70 years old, I'm entering the winter years of life, and I want to get back into seeing as much of this wonderful country as I can. I'm not worried about traveling in luxury, but I do want something that can double as my main vehicle and my home away from home. Hopefully I can find a nice used, affordable van with a Ford chassis.

If I was you I would start looking now for a used trailer. Quite often as fall arrives you can find ones that people have used just a few times and realized that trailer life isn't what they thought that it should be.

Then also look for a F150 to pull it. That way you can enjoy both worlds. A trailer that you can park somewhere with a vehicle that not only can tow it but something that you don't have to take your home with you to see something. The F150's towing ratings are going up every year it seams.

If I was you I would start looking now for a used trailer. Quite often as fall arrives you can find ones that people have used just a few times and realized that trailer life isn't what they thought that it should be.

Then also look for a F150 to pull it. That way you can enjoy both worlds. A trailer that you can park somewhere with a vehicle that not only can tow it but something that you don't have to take your home with you to see something. The F150's towing ratings are going up every year it seams.
That's a great idea. It would be bice if I could find someone selling both together.

Back