How much can a 91-94 Ex tow weight wise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much can a 91-94 Ex tow weight wise?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
How much can an Explorer with manual tranny tow safely? Would a car trailer and another Explorer be too much? I read many posts where people are pulling 4000+ with their 91-94's with Automatic trannies. Would a manual be any different?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your clutch will be smoked in a few months if you tow that much weight more than a few times.

I think a explorer 4.0L with a manual trans can tow 2000-2500 lbs safely. I know it can tow more but that is just my opinion. A car trailer and an explorer will put you at around 6000lbs.

The problem with the manual is no torque multiplication while getting going. If you have to stop on an incline and then get going again it can be a real :eek:

Flat towing, or uphill?

also, you need to look at hitch requirements

you should never tow anything heavier than the tow rig, unless the trailer has its own brakes, and emergeny brake cut out if it falls off etc.....

the stock brakes are barely able to stop the 4500 pound X... think about it trying to stop 12000, it wont.....

Well I was just wondering I'ved never really done any towing. Once or twice transporting little cars on tow dolly's etc.

Its definitely good info to know. Looks like I got someone with a v10 Magnum gonna help me out.

Back