Towerview Choppers- Mini Chopper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towerview Choppers- Mini Chopper

Originally posted by jimabena74
thats cool, the bicycle tire wont handle the speeds? ! how fast will that thing go? i wonder if you could get it registered as a street legal moped or bike?
The bicycle will handle the speeds, that's the most common from wheel and tire combo that I've seen on them. You can get the street legal but they require all the stuff that motorcycles require as far as insurance and licesne.

Kid: I printed off plans the other day for a frame and if I get a bender I'm going to have a go at it. I just happen to have an 11 HP lawnmower engine sitting around :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jimabena74
thats cool, the bicycle tire wont handle the speeds? ! how fast will that thing go? i wonder if you could get it registered as a street legal moped or bike?

as i said on his a bike tire wont work, on the people that use little 5hp briggs motors the tire usily is fine, but since he is runnign a 125 cc dirt bike motor, and the speeds will prolly be around 60.....

He is hoping to maybe get them registered, but im sure it will be hard, snce you would have to have turn signals, and all that other saftey crap.... well see

PEACE

Originally posted by TravisC
The bicycle will handle the speeds, that's the most common from wheel and tire combo that I've seen on them. You can get the street legal but they require all the stuff that motorcycles require as far as insurance and licesne.

Kid: I printed off plans the other day for a frame and if I get a bender I'm going to have a go at it. I just happen to have an 11 HP lawnmower engine sitting around :D

Thats kool travis, if ya get one bent up, send me some pics........

i think all it really needs is basically insurance...

also for registering, i think it just needs a headlight, stoplight, brake system, miroors and turn signals.... thats not a lot, they easily retrofit that stuff to dirt bikes to make an enduro or a dual sport..... and hte occ and the wcc are are legal.....

Hey Guys, im suprised my pics still worked, well they did for me, They were hosted on Imagestation which supposely stopped being abor to hotlink, well somereason they worked, but i uploaded them to my new imagehost and relink them to the original post, this way the pictures sohuld be up here no problem. Mt brother is now a registered user, Name TowerviewChops i think.. Maybe he will be posting in here a little later, he has some jigs made up for his Frames, and everything, i have some pics of his first(well really second) frame. The veryfirst one the jig was wrong or smoethign and when he went to weld it got out of alignment or soemthign or another, he could explaine better... But in a few mins ill post some pics. He has changed motors again, isntead of a Yamaha 125 motor it now will be a Honda 125(i tihnk thats right) Ill let him tell yall about all the details

-Caleb

Frame Pics

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

-Caleb

is.php

What the Motor Came From

Rest are test fitting of the motor, there are soem complications to work out, If he decides to post, i will let my Brother tell them....

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Cool Airfilter

lookin good, IMO :)

Cant believe i forgot to post some of the best pciture....

rear end-

is.php

is.php

Just messing around....

is.php

is.php

is.php

I HOPE this thing isn't going to see speeds over 10mph with this steering angle. That low fork angle has dissaster written all over it.

Props to the concept, and the frame!!!! :D Those look EXCELLENT!!! But there is a reason why bikers got away from the "low angle" choppers.................they couldn't steer worth a crap!! Remember that front bike wheels act as gyros, they react 90* off from the action against them (ie, you lean to the left, the bike turns to the left). That steering setup looks like it will simply "kick" the tire out from under itself!!

Just my opinion. I hope it works out!

I do hope to exceed the 10mph mark. It does have a serious rake(steering angle) 55deg, compared to normal 32-33deg of most production bikes. But rake doesn't hurt unless your trail is messed up. My trail is just under 6" so I should be alright at both high and low speeds. Yeah, the front end is long, 40" to be exact, when stock harleys usually are 30-31"; so it might be a little floppy, but you got to give a little to get the look. I see choppers as an art form. This bike won't be ridden long distances so I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for the style I want. Now when I combine that front end with the jockey shift and suicide clutch, it will be real fun. Don't worry I've got a hospital room reserved.

haha... at least he knows the design is flawed and is proceeding anyways :) then its all good ;)

Yeah it's got some drawbacks, but it's what I want so I keep on building it. The next one will be raked less with a much shorter frontend, and have better steering geometry. As well as a much simpler drivetrain. As my wife will probably be riding it, and I need someone to drive me to the hospital.

Heres a few pics, not the best im goign over there tommorow so ill try and grab some

Attachments

• Minichopper.JPG
    Minichopper.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 137
  • minichopper2.JPG
    minichopper2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 121
  • minichopper3.JPG
    minichopper3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 122

Back