Towing a small trailer for the weekend? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing a small trailer for the weekend?

I'm looking at taking the ATV on a short (1 hr. tops) drive out to a friends house for a paintball trip. I'm looking to tow a small 6x8 or similar sized trailer while using just a 2" ball on the bumper. I figured that only a small trailer and one ATV wouldn't cause any problems, considering the setup could weigh just 2000lbs tops. (ATV - 571lbs) Which leaves 1400lbs for the trailer weight.

That was just my opinion. Are there any suggestions or concerns that any of you have with this setup? I've got a 2000 EB 4x4 with the 4.0/5r55e which I do believe has a factory trans cooler. Just installed an add leaf last weekend as well, eliminated all sag, gave me a 1" lift and the rear is pretty darn stiff.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the tongue weight? Bumper ball max tongue weight is 350 lbs. so make sure you're balanced correctly. If this will be a recurring tow, I would splurge on a real draw-tite type hitch. 10 minutes to install at home, and about $130 delivered and you can probably find one at the junkyard or used on www.car-part.com locally... I've just never been a fan of bumper towing.

Tongue weight should be around 200-250, maybe not even, if I have everything balanced correctly. That was the other concern. It will not be a recurring tow, it's most likely going to be a one time thing. I thought about purchasing a receiver but due to budget reasons, I might not be able to do that before the trip. Certainly something I will consider in the future though. Other than that, any other issues I should be worried about?

Probably not, should be fine for that pull...

I don't think the weight will be your problem. Most likely not more than 1500 lbs. Find out the exact weight of the trailer and ATV, and tied down the ATV such that 10-15% of the total weight is on the ball. That TW should be low enough that you can measure it with a jackstand on a bathroom scale. So probably 150-225 lbs. Any less than 10%, and the trailer will not be stable (it will "sway" or "fishtail").

But the problem that I think you will have is getting the trailer level. The Explorer bumper is up pretty high, I think, and you said you just raised it another 1". Having it more than 1" above level (you will likely be several inches) will make it harder to maintain stability, becuase you are shifting weight back. If you set things up at 10% on the ball when level, you may only have 8% when you hitch up.

If this is your only solution, 1 time, just be sure you check that 10-15% TW with the coupler up at the same height it will be when hitched up.

Another option is to get a bolt on under-hitch receiver. This is not the full-frame type, but rather bolts directly to the underside of the bumper, providing you with a 1½" square receiver.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-81378-Bumper-Receiver/dp/B0008F671S
You can also get these shipped to Walmart for free. Then, while at Walmart, you can simply get the exact size drop drawbar that you need for the trailer. Probably $50 total for everything.

Just remember that although these have 3500 lbs (or more rating), you are limited by the weakest link. If the truck & bumper are only rated for 2000 lbs/200 lbs TW, do not exceed.

Thanks for the replies. The trailer has been switch to a 6x12, however. The combined trailer and ATV weight still shouldn't be over 2K. I'll get an accurate weight on that trailer to be sure.

Truckstop scale... :)

Haha, I had something similar in mind. I've got a rock supply company right down the road from me that I'm sure won't have a problem with me getting a weight on it.

Even better- free! :D

Back