• Register Today It's free!

Towing ability of 04 ST

Blind Dog

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
I have a '04 ST V6 4x4 LTD. Axle code is D2 which I know means it's a 4.10 Limited Slip Differential. What does that mean with regards to towing capacity? I hear everything from 3500lb up top 7160lb depending on tow package. How can I tell if I have the package which gives me max towing capacity?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all take your VIN number and go to Ford's ETIS web site. It will tell you if your ST was built with the towing package.

Secondly, if you have your owner's manual it will tell you what your towing capacity is with the rear bumper and with a frame mounted hitch.

First of all take your VIN number and go to Ford's ETIS web site. It will tell you if your ST was built with the towing package.

Secondly, if you have your owner's manual it will tell you what your towing capacity is with the rear bumper and with a frame mounted hitch.

Great info on FordETIS. Thanks for the pointer. My ST has these features listed: Payload Upgrade Package and Light Duty Trailer Towing. No mention of how much weight that means I can tow though...

For whatever it's worth, A Google search came up with the following:

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Edmunds.com
www.edmunds.com › … › 2004 Explorer Sport Trac
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac ... MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY** 5300 lbs. ...

** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades

It's the 'adequately equipped' part I'm struggling with. Looks like I have an upgraded diff, some kind of factory installed payload/tow package, and a transmission cooler though, so I'm leaning towards the idea that it's equipped to handle 5300lb.

Do you have a frame mounted hitch? The bumper is only rated at 3500, which is far more than I'd tow with a ball mounted in the bumper. You'll probably find you don't really want to tow anywhere near capacity, but that may depend on what you're towing. A lower profile would allow you to tow more weight comfortably. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that's a little taller than most, and I wouldn't want to make a regular habit of towing it on the highway with any real weight. My Sport Trac with 3.73 gears does ok with it as I use it - very local with about 1000 lbs in it, with 3 250 mile round trips on a 4 lane 65 mph highway in 3 years with less weight. I was glad I didn't have a headwind. I also have a 5x8 utility trailer with 2' sides that I've had fully loaded with firewood, and it handled that just fine on a 2 lane highway with some big hills at 55 mph. Less trailer weight, probably more weight with the wood, and no frontal area above the truck.

Probably should have asked this question first, but what exactly are you wanting tow, how often and under what kinds of conditions?

I've just checked mine. My axle ratio is 3.72 with payload upgrade package. I had put a chassis mount hitch on it over 2 years ago. I hadn't pulled anything yet with it, I was going to make myself a teardrop camper, maybe in the future. So I really don't know how much weight I can pull with it.

Do you have a frame mounted hitch? The bumper is only rated at 3500, which is far more than I'd tow with a ball mounted in the bumper. You'll probably find you don't really want to tow anywhere near capacity, but that may depend on what you're towing. A lower profile would allow you to tow more weight comfortably. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that's a little taller than most, and I wouldn't want to make a regular habit of towing it on the highway with any real weight. My Sport Trac with 3.73 gears does ok with it as I use it - very local with about 1000 lbs in it, with 3 250 mile round trips on a 4 lane 65 mph highway in 3 years with less weight. I was glad I didn't have a headwind. I also have a 5x8 utility trailer with 2' sides that I've had fully loaded with firewood, and it handled that just fine on a 2 lane highway with some big hills at 55 mph. Less trailer weight, probably more weight with the wood, and no frontal area above the truck.

Yes, I have the hitch. I'm just looking at trailering a 21ft boat to and from the ramp. Just 5 or 20 miles depending on location. Weight including trailer will be around 5000lbs...

I have the tow package (4.10 ratio, class III frame mounted hitch, and tranny cooler). i have been pulling boats with my truck with a lift and 33" tires no problem with the exception that im going pretty slow up long hills at freeway speed. my 17' boat and single axle trailer weigh in at approximately 4000 lbs fueled up and packed with gear. a double axle 21' boat at around 5000 lbs might be towing at the upper limit of what these trucks can do.

Back