• Register Today It's free!

Towing capabilities

Tony91Sport

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Ive got a 91 Sport, and I need to transport a car I just bought. I don't have a hitch installed on my car, but I have a hole in my bumper for a ball. I was planning on renting one of those uhaul trailers that you could place half of the car on, I think its called a car dolly. Id rather not spend the extra cash to get a frame mounted hitch put on, I could rent a uhaul car hauler if it was cheaper than putting a hitch on. Any suggestions?

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of car?? What's you rear gear ratio?? How far you towing it??

As long as you ain't going TOO far you should be ok. I've towed an old caddie about 10 miles before on a trailer before with little problems. Looking back though I wish I wouldn't of. Can you, yes, should you, no!!

The car is my new project car :D a 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II. Towing, about 200 miles. Gear ratio, 3.73. And the answer is?

Tony
91 Sport

Nope. It's to far. Not only do you risk the bumper coming of, but you'd need trailer brakes for that distance. Sorry

Easily that combination is probably barley over 3000 pounds if that. I have a 91 4x4 with 3:50 gears. I tow a 2500 boat off the bumper all the time in the summer with no problems. The dolly would also have no tounge weight as apposed to a normal trailer. A reciver hich would be better though but not necessary especially if that is your only trip with it.

I have a '94 with the towing option, and so has the 3.73 gears, but also includes the transmission cooler. In my owners manual it states that I can tow 5200 pounds.

The questions I'm not sure about is, if yours doesn't have the towing package then what is the bumper's rating? Mine, even with the package, is only 3500 pounds. The other is related to trailer brakes. While mine can tow 5200 pounds, I'm pretty certain that to do so would require brakes on the trailer. But I'm not so sure if your load is "only" about 3000 pounds.

I'd check with a rental place, and maybe with places that install hitches, to get some information.

Well, I checked it out, my new RX7 weighs about 2900 lbs. and from what i can see, theres trailer wiring in the jack compartment.

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

The bumper is only rated at 300 lbs toung weight and 3500 trailer capacity. I would highly recommend using a reciever type hitch, but since the dolly has little toung weight and as long as the traler doesn't weigh 500 lbs i would say you may be able to squeeze that off. In 1998 the 4.0L OHV 2 door 4X2 explorer has a max. trailer weight of 5,100. as long as you have the automatic transmission it should work. the manual transmission is only rated for 3,140 lbs. Are you driving on flat land or thru mountains?

Its a 91 Sport, 2WD, 5 Speed. The trip is pretty hilly, but nothing sudden. Long highway inclines. I forgot to mention my truck has a spark knock under any acceleration on the highway. I feel kinda stuck on the subject.

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

Originally posted by Tony91Sport
<snip>I forgot to mention my truck has a spark knock under any acceleration on the highway. I feel kinda stuck on the subject.

Tony
91 Sport 2WD
It could be that your MAF sensor needs to be cleaned, do a search on MAF and you should find out what you need to do that (not hard).

I replaced it about a month ago. Can I have everyones final suggestions?

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

no you cant tow it. the factory setup on the bumper is a class II. if i am correct class II is 250 tongue 2500 maximum wieght being towed. lets see? 2500 > 2900????? i dont think so. unles you failed math class.

Actually I finished in the highest math class possible. I was just asking opinions on peoples expierences.

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

Tony,
I would go read your bumper, because I know mine says 3,500 lbs trailer weight and 300lbs tongue weight.

If you have a spark knock on the highway then I would worrya little about your truck making it that distance with such a load. DOes it still have all it's power? From that fact, if i were you i would go rent one of those U-hauls that is like $19.95 and rent the dolly to haul it on.

Sorry to discourage you, but i am just worried about your truck not making it.

Shoot I used to work with a guy who towed cars with a dolly all the time using a J**p PU with a 4 banger off his bumper. An RX7 is light compared to most other cars. Just check your bumper capacities and if they exceed the weight then go for it. Just keep your distance from the dude in front of you. As soon as you start pulling it you will know whether or not your truck can do it.

Now if it was something like the trailer I pull, I would tell you. NO WAY !!! :)

Tony,

The bumper's rated sufficiently, your gearing's right for towing. In my opinion, FWIW, I'd say you can do it. Just go slow and keep lots of braking room in front of you.

i saw a tan explorer with a bumper aimed downward at 60 degrees. tow if you want but i am warning you.

Hum....such the heated debate! Now I could be wrong....But can't you rent trailer hitches at Uhaul? If so, that's the way to go....I coulda sworn you could rent em there....
Just a thought....
Pete

You can rent the hitches, and car dollys, but looking at pricing, I think im going to rent the auto transport. It'll be about half the cost of getting a hitch and renting a car dolly.

Tony
91 Sport 2WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jimabena74
i saw a tan explorer with a bumper aimed downward at 60 degrees. tow if you want but i am warning you.
I recently saw an Expedition with a class IV hitch that was bent, bumper and all, downward like that. But that doesn't mean it happened while something was being towed. Being rearended would do that too.

Back