Towing capabilities | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing capabilities

I have a 91. I tow all the time. I towed my 6x8 trailer from NH to NC, and then NC to AZ with no problems. I towed a Pontiac Sunfire 120 miles with no problems. I was real easy with it, and took it slow.

BUT>>>>>>>>>> I found a recall on my truck last month from someone from this website. It stated on 91 explorers, "under extreme towing, rear bumper may detach". So I would have Ford look and see if your truck is effected. They will reenforce your bumper if it was recalled. If not, I would do it, but just take it slow. The tounge weight isn't too much with the carrier from U hual. (the one with two wheels) All the weight are on the wheels. So it is just the weight you are pulling to worry about. It is a small car you want to tow, so I say go for it. Just hook up the safety chains to the frame.

my .02....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you go to rent a tow dolly, try to get one with surge brakes. They operate on the inertia of the trailer running into the hitch. There is no extra wiring, besides the lights. For a single trip, I think you would be okay. Check the owners manual about what gears to use. When I was in SCCA, I saw a lot of race cars being towed with a lot less. Just take it easy.

A dolly tows straight as an arrow (no sway) and transfers almost no weight to the tounge. With surge brakes like stated above, braking will not stress you either. I just replied something for the 'tongue' post. I would do this in a heartbeat in a 91. After all its 10 yrs old, its time to break it in. 3.7 something gears - no problem. Its like a tractor LOL. Dont exceed 300 lb tongue or much over 3000 tow. Keep your speed down a little (under 60). Let it run about 2300 RPM mostly, not much more or less. Wind it up slow and high on take offs. BTW - I bet some of these conservative people here regularly stress their Explorers during off roading far more than a highway tow trip. Look at the way the bumper is attached. The 'tow' plate is the main center attachment to the frame. If you're not part of a recall, don't underestimate the strength of that attachment.

Two things

1. I bent the bumper of my previous '94 the first time I towed with it. I went and got a frame hitch, never had another problem

2. With a 5 speed tranny, the tow rating is substantially less than the auto.

It sounds like u are just running in circles. I know for a fact that the bumper is rated at 300 lbs. tounge weight and 3500 lbs. trailer weight. It states specifically in the manual the weight you should pull pending on the gears your explorer has and whether or not it is an auto or manual. If there is any doubt at all just spend the money on a hitch, there good to have and only run about 100.00, maybe a little more if you want them to install it. I do however also know that the bumper is pretty strong (My friend backed into another friends car causing 2600.00 worth of damage to the other person's vehicle and only a busted taillight on his Explorer). Hope this helps.

Back