• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity with a Lift?

4x4Ex

Reaction score
City, State
OC, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB 4x4 V8
If I lift my Ex, will it significantly reduce the amount of weight that I can safely tow?

DETAILS:
I have an '04 EB 4WD V8 that I use to tow a 22' travel trailer with a WD hitch. I tow a lot and occasionally go off-road, where I could use more clearance.

I plan to do the 3" suspension lift (2.25"/1.75" BTF spacers & extended UCAs) and run stock wheels for now (just bought new 245/65R17 AT).

Maybe 2" wheel spacers for looks? That would have to reduce capitacity though, right?

I would love to run 285s under a 3" body lift some day but probably can't because of the spare tire storage situation. I guess 265s would be my max?

Thx! B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant really say much for the towing but yes, a 265 tire is the largest that will fit in the spare tire location. my spare is a 265 75 on the 16 in steel rim

My overall stability decreased when towing my boat. With bigger 32" tires vas stock 29", my acceleration is muuuuch worse.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go ahead with the lift (BTF spacers and UCAs) to gain off-road clearance. I'm hoping it won't have a substantial negative impact on towing performance or safety.

I'm going to stay with my brand new 245/65R17s for now. I hope they don't look silly (too small) after the lift.

I have no good reason for the wheel spacers other than wide looks so I'm not going to do those. Who knows how it will affect towing performance/stability/safety.

Thx!

You have to notch the frame or use limit straps with that size spacer. I just installed 1.75 F/R and need to modify my frame for 4x4 use.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go ahead with the lift (BTF spacers and UCAs) to gain off-road clearance. I'm hoping it won't have a substantial negative impact on towing performance or safety.

I'm going to stay with my brand new 245/65R17s for now. I hope they don't look silly (too small) after the lift.

I have no good reason for the wheel spacers other than wide looks so I'm not going to do those. Who knows how it will affect towing performance/stability/safety.

Thx!

With those stock sized tires, your towing power or braking shouldn't be affected at all. I went from 29" to 32" tires with a tired old V6, and I'm pretty sure that's what makes my tow rig so weak.

The lift made my body roll and sway more during normal driving and during towing. I drive super-duper slow and conservatively now when I'm towing.

Modifying a suspension impacts towing capacity. Most times, towing capacity, especially a lighter duty vehicle like our X's is limited by the chassis ability to handle the extra load and keep it under control, not the engine/trans.
A spacer lift that goes inside the strut assembly essentially adds pre-load to the spring. This will affect ride quality and stability a little, and especially in the rear with the progressive rate coils, put it operating at a different spring rate. Lifts like these also force the control arms further downward, out of original geometry, changing the way they carry the weight and apply it to the wheels, as well as decreasing track-width. The extra angularity will also put more stress on the axleshafts.
Please remember, everyone: when a factory produces a vehicle, they have spent millions of dollars in research and engineering (that's right, all systems of our vehicles are engineered to work together in a certain way). Anything you do in your garage is going to affect it's factory performance in some way (or many ways). There is no such thing as a mod that increases performance in one area without sacrificing it in another.
Also, the only real reason to lift is to clear bigger tires. A lift alone doesn't really do much to increase off-road capability. Your lowest hanging points are still just as low (the wheel end of the lower control arms).
If you're looking for better off-road performance whilst not hurting your towing too much, my recommendation is max out tire size without lift (265/70R17) and get a good all-terrain or mud terrain tread. Your 245/65R17's are 29.54" tall. 265/70R17's are 31.6" tall, equating to about an inch of extra height.

My SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess) of how much this would impact your tow capacity would be subtract about 1,500 lbs for safety sake. The larger tries would not affect it nearly this much, only make you feel a little less stable at high speed lane changes due to taller sidewall.

Back