towing cargo trailer what size should i buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing cargo trailer what size should i buy

i have a 2007 v8 explorer with tow package 7000lbs ....looking at 7x16 cargo trailer to move household with would like bigger trailer but maybe too much for explorer to tow. anyone towed something like this...useing trailer to move out of state. i am buying this not renting, is a 20 foot trailer too big for explorer to tow

16 and 18 ft trailers should come stock with two 3500 pound axles, and will be equipped with electric trailer brakes, regardless of the empty weight of trailer. Any 6 1/2 to 7 ft wide flatbed would wrk for you.

found a 7x 20 cargo trailer going to try it for the move....can always hook up the ford F-250 i have, if its a problem....just would like to use the explorer,better for trips.

found a 7x 20 cargo trailer going to try it for the move....can always hook up the ford F-250 i have, if its a problem....just would like to use the explorer,better for trips.

I frequently tow a 8 ft wide, 20 foot long, 8 foot tall box(RV) behind my V8 explorer, and I've been happy with it. You should be fine, but keep in mind your Tongue weight limit is only 500 lbs. You need to get a weight distributing hitch to raise that limit to 700 lbs. and load that trailer carefully! Other wise you'll have a miserable trip.

Back