towing lighting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

towing lighting issues

cityworker

Reaction score
City, State
petaluma CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
hello long time no post. life has been savage latley, but when i finall\y got the boat out to go sturgoen fishing my boat ligts are no good. i installed a new set of submersable lights on the trl. and only one worked. i tested it on the bench and it worked. so i check the four way flat and iy did not. No big deal got a new one from napa and plugged it in behind the left rear taillite. now it only lites one side with the headlights on and no brakes blinkers.. i dont know all the fuses are good anybody have ideas?:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check yuor grounds. they suck on trailers, which is why the lights may work on your bench but not on your trailer. Also check your wire coming from your truck, with a meter, and make sure thats working correctly also.
-Kug

the grounds were the first thing i checked their perfect I took a disk to them to make sure, I was told there is a relay for the tow lights.Any word on that?

Well i know on my 99, it didnt come with factory tow kit, so i had to buy an adapter, once i hooked up the adapter to my tail lights that the trailer lights would feed off of i was set. Maybe check behind your drivers side taillight, thats where my tow adapter is. I have bunrt one of these up before, b.c an old steel trailer i had caused a huge short, only allowing my left side to light up as a running light, and no other lgihts worked as blinkers or anything. Check your adapter and try the output coming from you car wired traielr adapter plug.
-Kug

that sounds like my problem. Ill probe that as my lady runs the lights. thanx fishin ford good luck fishin mabey ill see you on the bay someday

Back