• Register Today It's free!

Towing question???

vp6799

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I did do a search, but it came up with a bunch of diff stuff. Couldn't find something to help me.

I've got an 02 X xlt 4X4 w/ the 4.0 V6 and 3:73's with a LS. I will be going to an off road trail with the Jeep club im in and was thinking about towing my ZJ there in case I break something.

The owners manual says that the X can supposedly tow up to 10,000 lbs and a max trailer weight of around 5,000 lbs.

My Grand cherokee (zj) has a GVWR of 5,300 and a curb weight of 3,800 lbs. I added 200 lbs for fluids (oil, gas, etc...), so lets say the curb weight is 4,000 lbs.

The trailer is 3,000 lbs empty with electric brakes.

If I add the 4,000 (jeep) and the 3,000 (trailer), that gives me 7,000 lbs total towing weight.

So my question is will I be alright to tow this about 130 miles each way? I have never been out there, so I don't know how many uphills and downhills there are on the way.

I'm trying to figure this out before I go out and buy a nice brake controller.

Thanks
Vic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off the you need to look at your door sticker and find out what your truck is rated for. I'm not sure where you got the 10k lb figure but that sounds a bit high to me. I thought most gen3's max out at 7900lb. Notice that not all gen3's are that same it all depends what gears you have in your rear and if you have the heavy duty towing package. When pushing your vehicle to the max make sure you are servicing your engine and tranny properly. I would really recommend an extra cooler for your tranny to make sure your not going to fry it. Also full synthetic fluid in the tranny is cheap insurance also a temp gauge will save you from burning up the tranny in extreme towing situations.

It's always a good idea to weigh both the tow vehicle and the loaded trailer just to see how much you are actually towing.

I got the 10k from the owners manual. What am I looking for on the door sticker? There's a few diff ratings listed there.

well even the new f-150's can only tow 10k lbs and they are rated at 3/4 ton. The 02 year explorers afaik were rated for 7000lbs max and that is with the 4.6l v8 and proper gears. I would guess that your truck should be somewhere around the 6000lb mark for trailer rating. The 10k figure is probably your gross combined vehicle weight rating which is trailer and tow vehicle together. You need to subtract the static weight of your truck from that figure to see what you can safely tow.

I'm guessing your going to be a bit overweight when you work all the numbers. The thing about the explorer and towing is that with it's short wheelbase it really is not a super tow vehicle. But with the correct setup and maintenance it can work quite well. You just don't want to be taking it over it's limits without the proper precautions.

If all the numbers and weights work out you will need a few things before I would consider towing such a load.
1) check your brakes and fluid and make sure they are all clean and in top condition
2) your trailer will need to have brakes for such a load and you will need a brake controller in your truck. I highly recommend the teconsha controllers.
3) change your transmission fluid to full synthetic
4) install an extra tranmission cooler and temp gauge. you will be surprised how hot your tranny gets when towing such a load on even moderate inclines
5) make sure you are not driving with over drive on, you should always turn off over drive when towing heavy loads
6) check your cooling system, you may need to flush it and put some clean antifreeze in there. Your extra load puts extreme stress on the cooling system and if you don't keep things cool you can kiss both your engine and tranny goodbye
7) while towing try not to use the a/c pump, that includes running the heat on floor, defrost, mix etc... The only mode that I know of that does not use the pump is the Vent only mode ( at least that is how it is on my truck)
8) I always make sure my engine oil is in great shape before I tow, it's just cheap insurance.
9) when was the last time you did a tunup? plugs, wires, air cleaner, clean MAF, etc... you want your engine in top performance when you are asking it to give you all it has to tow something heavy

just make sure you run all the numbers correctly and don't sugar coat anything. The last thing you want to do it blow up your truck.

I think that is on the heavy side. 130 miles is a trip. I assume the 10,000 pounds is the gross vehicle weight rating which includes the weight of your truck, and the trailer.

well even the new f-150's can only tow 10k lbs and they are rated at 3/4 ton.

Unless I'm mistaken or Ford has changed something recently isn't the F-150 a 1/2 ton.

I concur with those that say the 10K figure is Combined Gross Vehicle Weight. I suggest you start running some numbers. 7K pounds is going to be pushing every bit that a V6 can do even with a tow package.

If you are going to do this get a HUUUUGE tranny cooler, and I'd get a fluid change before. Whats the max tongue weight? I assume you will be over that as well. Is the trailer a dual axle?

I'm guessing it's a dual axle trailer. My 18' flatbed is dual axle and it's weight is just under 2,000 lbs.

Being a V6, I also think the 10k pounds is combined weight of tow vehicle, trailer, and cargo on trailer. I'm not sure of the exact number, but my V8 can tow around 7200lbs I believe.

Since no one else has mentioned a controller, I will. You said you were looking at figuring some things out before buying one, but have you looked at them? I've got the Tekonsha Prodigy controller and really like it. Easy to setup and use. I bought mine about 2 years ago for around $120 or so.

Is it flat there and back? If so, you may be able to pull it off. But your Explorer may not like you too much. I'd have the trans serviced either before or after to make sure it's good to go.

-Melon

I think i'm not gonna use the x to tow it.

The trailer is a dual axle with electric brakes. It weighs 3,000 lbs empty. We move the vehicle on the trailer back and forth to achieve proper tongue weight.

I might use my buddies silverado to tow it, esp since his truck is wired to supply power to the winch, in case i need it (which I think I will). :D

the only other tow vehicle I have access to is a 92 Bronco with a 302.

Back