• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 95 XLT 4.0

venom

Reaction score
City, State
Duncan, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Okay, I've searched, and I found some good info, but nothing specific. I plan on using my DD Explorer to tow my toy, an 85 Jeep, to the beach this summer. Rather take that on the beach than my EX. I have a couple of concerns before I do this.

I have 140,000 miles on the rig (95 XLT). It has the 4.0 in it, and it seems strong. Would it be overworking it to tow 800 miles round trip?

I plan on flat towing the jeep (tow bar). I need to use a frame mounted receiver hitch so I can level out the tow bar. Are there any anti sway components that I should get?

Will running with OD off for the trip hurt anything? I'm new to towing with automatics.

Are there any other things I should consider?

FYI I used my 91 Sport 4x4 5speed to tow a trailer and race car from Oklahoma to VA, and it handled it just fine so I think I'm okay, but I want to cover all my bases.

TIA!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tow 1.5-2.0 tons at 60-70mph for hours at a time without problem, on cruise control, in overdrive.

When approaching long, steep inclines remember your speed may drop sufficiently to drop out of cruise control (if selected and fitted). So to maintain speed you may want to deselect o/d before this happens (if under hard acceleration you may not be able to do this) and then start dropping down through the box 2 - 1 etc.

The only time I've found this happening to me is on the Devil's Elbow approaching the Glen Shee ski station, but this is the highest pass in the UK!

Auto boxes definately need an oil cooler but I think you'll find your Ex will already have one to take care of overheating.

I've never used any hitch friction device, but then I don't accelerate downhill

Go for it, Explorers are unstopable!

Awesome. Thank you. It's got some up and down hill stuff, but nothing drastic.

That sounds like a cool trip..

I think you will be in good shape. I have towed stuff with my explorer and I have 100k miles and never had a problem (also a 4.0). just be careful when you brake don't hit em too quick or your brakes will take a beating. Check your tranny fluid and change your oil before you go.

Consider the following:

Your brakes are weak when towing a rig that heavy.
You should at the VERY least install an additional or better transmission cooler
You should have a gage on the trans fluid tempature

The 4.0L is fully capable of towing this weight, however the A4LD auto tranny you have will not last forever, you are shortening its life dramatically when towing that weight, that far. the LD in A4LD stands for LIGHT DUTY.

My 97XLT towed a 4000 lbs boat trailer and I towed my 2000-2500 4 wheeler trailer from dallas to houston all the time with OD on in the summer in small hills. Handled it fine, my brother's tacoma tranny overheated bad one time but we just pulled over and switched it to my explorer after letting it cool and it was fine. If you have any problems like the transmission stops shifting properly, just pull over and let it cool down.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm well aware of the breaking limitations. My biggest concern is overworking the engine, and more so the transmission.

Back