• Register Today It's free!

towing with the 00 xlt 4.0

snookfishnjoe

Reaction score
City, State
tampa fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
i have 2000 xlt 4.0 explorer and was wonder if any body has any expeirence towing around 6000lb boat with it, i am considering a pruchase of a boat this size and would like input. the spec says i can toe 5900 lbs with my 4.10 gear ratio, but i just wanted to know about going up boat ramps pulling the boat. or if there is any info for making the car a better towing machine, thanks hope you guys can help>>>>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the OHV or SOHC?

With either engine, I don't recommend towing a boat of that size.

How often would you be pulling it and how far?

I agree. I tow an 18ft boat at around 3500 pounds. And I also have the 4.10 gears. It takes alot for it to pull that small amount of weight. I thought it would pull much better than it does. Boat ramps are no problem however with 6000 pounds I dont think I would try it. Boats is going to weight more pulling it out also. I would also strongly suggest a hitch if you dont have one get one.

maybe the 5.0 could handle that, but i wouldnt try it with the V6.

Joe,

I can only comment on my experience. I have towed a small Kubota backhoe on a tandum axle trailer with my 4.0 and it did struggle a little bit, but that wasn't my main concern. As I was towing it I came down a small hill and began to coast, but the trailer wanted to coast faster then the Xplorer due to the weigt of the trailer. It started to force the rear of the truck violently from side to side I thought for sure it was going to flip the Xplorer. Luckly I got it under control and it didn't flip. I can tell you that is one way to have everyone give you plenty of room on the road. It scared the ---- out of me . As you can guess I had the rental company pick the Kubota up for its return trip. So in my opinion I would worry about how much weight you will be tryng to stop instead of trying to pull.

At first I thought the trailer was not balanced right, but I have since learned that the trailer must have been close to the weight of the Xplorer if not more. I have been hauling dirt down to my lower yard on a dirt path with my small 4wheeler and the cart of dirt has forced the 4wheeler to do the same kind of thing so I have to assume it waas the weight of the trailer.

Remember the Xplorer only weighs about 5200 lbs and a 6000 lb boat and trailer could have the same effect as the Kubota did on my Xplorer, but in Florida the land is pretty flat.

Good luck,

Remember the Xplorer only weighs about 5200 lbs and a 6000 lb boat and trailer

That is exactly what you need to remember, 9 out of 10 times, braking ability determines towing weight more than eng/tranny pulling power.

Back